Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gauss driver specs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by miktit, Apr 13, 2002.

1. miktit

miktit Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Denmark
    I have an old cabinet with a 12" Gauss driver.
    The model number is 4280. Does anybody know how to determine the wattage of a driver?
    I have searched the web but can't find any pages about Gauss. I believe the company doesn't exist anymore.
    Can anyone help?

Mikkel Tiedt - Copenhagen

2. Hi, Mark here;

By some people's standard that is not an "old" Gauss driver as it was a current production item during Mark IV's reign (I believe); however, here are the specs that I have:

Ohms: Generally 8 (DC 6.7ohms)
    Freq Res: 45 - 3KHz
    Watts: 800 program
    Sens: 97
    Fs: 38Hz
    Qms: 2.1
    Qes: .21
    Qts: .20
    Vas: 3.4
    Voice Coil dia: 4 1/8"
    Weight: 23 1/2 lbs.

The 4280 is suitable for horn loading.
    Aluminum Former
    Aluminum Frame
    Double Spider
    "Chrome" Dustcap
    Low Freq. Max power limit is about 50Hz.
    Highest recommended crossover point is 1500 Hz.

3. miktit

miktit Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Denmark
    Thanks a lot!

What does 800 "program" mean when talking about watts? I know this baby can take a lot of juice from the amp, but I guess it doesnt mean it's an 800 Watt speaker. (My SWR Goliath Sr is stated to be a 600 watt cab.) I'm not very well in the different terms of wattage, so if you could clarify that I would be very grateful.

By the way. Did you get theese specs on the internet? If you did I would like to know where.

Thanks again
    Mikkel Tiedt - Copenhagen:D

4. Best Regards,

5. Stephanheimer

Stephanheimer

Feb 15, 2009
    Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I was hoping somebody could provide some information about these and how well they would work for bass in a 2, 4 or 6 x12 configuration.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    What stands out is the Qts of 0.2, which means unless horn loaded it will have very weak bass response.

7. Stephanheimer

Stephanheimer

Feb 15, 2009
    I appreciate the reply, can you explain/elaborate on this: What is QTS? and How would a horn help?

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Understanding Loudspeaker Data | Eminence Speaker
    A properly designed horn extends the low frequency range of low Qts drivers.
    It's worth noting that most very low Qts drivers go back to the era prior to T/S specs. The JBL D130 was the benchmark low Qts driver, created to deliver the highest possible output with the power available circa 1949, which averaged less than 25 watts. It was not realized until 20 years later with the advent of T/S specs that very low Qts realized high broadband sensitivity at the expense of low end response. And that's why today you seldom see drivers with Qts of much less than 0.3.

9. Stephanheimer

Stephanheimer

Feb 15, 2009
    Thanks again for the quick reply. I think I will pass on the ones i've seen listed for sale (speakers only no cab).