Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gay bassists?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ok - this is not a religious or political thread. no flaming required, please.

im a lifetime player, started when i was 9 years old. also happens that i'm gay.

no probs with anyone in my band or my life - its just who I am. I'm not "outrageous" or "girly" etc. I'm just a guy. No problems with straight guys or "fitting in" because I just do. i never been after straight guys, cos I'm gay and like other gay guys, basically.

are there any other gay bassists around? and what's your stories?

Mods - if this is too political, religious (?) or doesn't fit with board rules - feel free to close or delete. At least lets me know where I stand.

2. Hi Southpaw,

I'm as straight as a gun barrel but I'm interested in the topic.
    Freddy, Elton and Michael are gay. Killer musios. I allways joke around with my wife about this topic saying stuff like you must have to be gay to be a good singer etc. But then how many aren't. I don't think it makes any difference at all.

The political correctness, well I'm of the opinion that if you couldn't talk about it here it would be more incorrect. Gay bassist, straight bassist are all bass players.

My wife is Bi. She has taught me a lot about attitude. I can honestly say I don't understand the make up of a gay dude but I really don't have a problem with respecting them as anyone else. Gay, straight, black or white.

One thing I absolutley think we benefit from music is that it tends to take all the focus away from the usual judgemental mind sets. I don't think I could EVER ditch my Queen CD's.

The Stingray 5's a cool bass.

Cheers.

3. Thanks MLowe,

I agree. Im not about pushing my sexuality onto anything, and its a good point you make. Queen, Elton etc - they don't make good music because they're gay. They are just good muso's. :bassist:

I like your thought that music makes us equal no matter how unequal the rest of our lives may be. Look at this board! When I see threads about how crappy a S.U.B is compared to a Stingray, or how a MIM Jazz is ****e compared to a Sadowsky, it makes me happy to realise that we are all bound by our circumstances. I could afford an Alembic, if I so choose, but I still wish to contribute to players who could only dream. Case in point.

Brave post, MLowe - appreciate your honesty and decency.

Pete

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    My older brother's a bisexual ex-guitarist. The "ex-" part is bad though...he had SUCH a talent for songwriting.

5. whoa, a real gay man! just like on TV!

just kiddin'. glad you aren't having a tough time with it. i'm not gay but then again brad pitt's never offered himself to me.

6. +1. I believe that you can't say what you'd do in a situation until you've actually been there. My bro's gay, but he's as musical as a brick...

Leigh

7. wow!! was bracing myself for flames - but all I get is nice replies (and not from other gay people either)

You guys are truly great! :crying: :D

8. Very cool. Your welcome. :)

It's not the gay people you have to fear. It's the drummers who never turn up on time...... :smug:

9. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    The only gay bassist I can think of off the top of my head (other than your good self... :) ) is Stefan Olsdal of Placebo. Good, imaginative player too. I'm sure there's plenty more out there.

Russ :bassist:

10. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    There are probably loads of gay bassists, its just not a big deal anymore. When Freddy Mercury or Graham Chapman 'came out' everyone was like "OH MY GOD!"

Now, being homosexual is seen as normal and usual (thankfully, the world is enlightened) and so its just not a big thing. :)

Jack.
    (Straight, but very open-minded) :D

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    and you better only get nice replies too. if not let me know. :)

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm not, but I rented a house with a guitarist for a while that was. Also had a real good friend that was (poet not musically inclined).

Peoples are Peoples to me :)

If the off-topic Mods want to move this to 'Bassists' I'll watch it doesn't get mean or off topic.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm not gay, but those pants are fabulous!

Waiting for Mr. Depp, myself.

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    You seemed to start this thread thinking that most of Tb was bigoted, i hope its been an education. If you're cool with being gay, I'm cool with you being gay. At the end of the day, it won't mean anything between us, and i wont treat you any different because of it. Just like I'd expect everyone else not to treat you any different.

edit(JT) : that was quite disrespectful toasted. :scowl:

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    No more dirty jokes, Toasty...

Anyways, I am a Christian guy, and I may not agree with the lifestyle, but you are no less of a person than me or anyone else. We can disagree, and still be cool. That's the cool thing about TB, too. It really never comes up, and most people wouldn't mind anyways.

I always liked Elton John's old stuff. It was pretty good. I have his album, "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Just the Piano Player" on vinyl. Good album. And as far a Queen goes, there is not many greater rock bands out there.

It's cool to see that you are confortable with yourself, and who you are. :bassist:

16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    There is an "edit" feature here..........

17. Hey dude ,

I have no problem with homosexual people , even though im christian i feel that homosexuals make up such a big part in society nowadays that we should accept the gay culture for what it is , your just another dude on here that plays bass and also owns gear which is superior to my own. :p

18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Southpaw, good on ya for being proud of who you are.

Anyone here gets cross-ways with you, after JT takes 'em out, I'll take out what's left.

You are a human first, a bassist second...and the gay thing, that's so far down the line to me, it's essentially non-existant.

19. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    However. Wait until Christian America wakes up - you're going to hell! Ho-mow-sex-eual![/QUOTE]

I'm a Christian, American, and gosh I just woke up. #1 God made you and He loves you. #2 While I believe your choices are wrong, I struggle with and make wrong choices every day myself, so I'm certantly not any better then you. # 3 I live every day in an enviorment where there are plenty of Gay people, one of my good friends (who goes to my church) plays in a band whith a lead singer who is gay, So. #4 Everyone needs Jesus, and Jesus dosen't ever say "clean up and come to me", He says, "come to me and I'll clean you up". As far as wether or not your going to Hell, frankly I don't know, you'll have to ask God yourself on that one!!

20. I'm a Christian, American, and gosh I just woke up. #1 God made you and He loves you. #2 While I believe your choices are wrong, I struggle with and make wrong choices every day myself, so I'm certantly not any better then you. # 3 I live every day in an enviorment where there are plenty of Gay people, one of my good friends (who goes to my church) plays in a band whith a lead singer who is gay, So. #4 Everyone needs Jesus, and Jesus dosen't ever say "clean up and come to me", He says, "come to me and I'll clean you up". As far as wether or not your going to Hell, frankly I don't know, you'll have to ask God yourself on that one!![/QUOTE]

couldnt of put it better myself ,The anglican church here in England share a similar view to "Christian America" about homosexuality , There was once a case where there was 2 gay anglican ministers , i think the anglican church (im not overly sure though) took their positions away from them for being homosexual , yet though in a sermon i heard in church only a fortnight ago suggested that we should be none racist and politically correct and not pass judgment , but isnt to discrimnate against gays politically incorrect?? i feel that theres confusion and hiprocacy in some aspects of the church nowadays as where it comes to sexuality, marriage, divorce etc . I cant ignore these issues and rules but i cant change them either and makes me feel awkward as young christian as what to think and what values my children (if i have any) in years to come will be taught.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.