's "21 Techniques For Monster Chops" dvd

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by die_Heavies, Oct 18, 2004.

1. die_Heavies

May 19, 2003
    has anyone bought this? i was going to go ahead and buy it but wanted to see if you guys think it's worth it so i can try to improve my technique.
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Chops are good to learn, but remembering to make music and not fast bursts of noise is key.

Case in point; Chops from Hell, Rusty Cooley, Yngie Malmstein, Billy Sheehan, etc.

In the end you should learn as much as you can, but don't let the music suffer because you want to show off your chops.
  3. Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain

I like all the artists you mentioned above and feel that they are all great melody writers. Also, it's spelled Yngwie Malmsteen. You sould take the time to listen to the work of some of these people before bashing it. If you don't like neoclassical rock genre, that's fine, there's lots of genres I don't like either. I'm not trying to convert you into a hardcore Yngwie fan or anything, but I wish you'd give his tunes a chance before saying stuff like that. "Far Beyond the Sun" is a truly magical and beautiful instrumental with some killer melodies.

Liszt, Paganini, and Chopin and others all got the initial reviews that Yngwie, Rusty Cooley and others get, too fast, too self indulgent, etc..
  4. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor

Uhmm...Yngwie's music isn't even close to Liszt, Chopin or Paganini. Sorry.
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    You should look up the word opinion.

I have heard all of Cooley's clips on his site; musical masturbation in my eyes. Fine if you like it, but I don't. Yngwie is in the same boat from the albums I have heard.

There is too much good music out there for me to have to like Neo-classical shred metal just because the guitarists are chops masters. Just my opinion.

I haven't heard any music from any of the classical artists you listed, but if you compare them to Cooley and Malmsteen then I don't think I want to hear their music.
  6. Gary Denyer's site is chock full o' fun, I'd imagine his DVD would be the same. Chops when used tastefully, can be a good thing.
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS