Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GB 610T-XB2 6x10 at 6ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by UzzA, Mar 16, 2006.

1. UzzA

UzzA

Mar 29, 2002
    Hey guys, i recently got what i thougt was a great deal. I got a genz benz 6x10 for 250.00 but i noticed the cab is rated at 6ohms instead of 4 or 8. I know i'll lose some but will i lose a substantial amount of power over the more common the 4 ohm version of the cab? Why would genz benz even put out a 6 ohm cab? Thanks for any help in advance!

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The cab is 6 because the drivers are standard 32 Ohm drivers (if they are wired in parallel). If you have a SS head, take the differece in power between the 4 and 8 Ohm ratings and divide that by 2 to get the power loss between 4 and 6 Ohms.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Where are you getting that kind of deal on that cabinet!? I never knew they made them in 6 ohms.

4. UzzA

UzzA

Mar 29, 2002
    Yeah I got the cab used from a nice guy locally. One of the drivers had been replaced by genz benz but everything else was perfect. I just had never seen cabs wired for 6 ohms. Im hoping my svt III has enough wattage to keep up with the 6ohm load. Thanks for the help!

5. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    Eden 610XLT is also 6 ohm cab.

6. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    warwick 611 is also 6 ohms. 8 ohm speakers, 3 parallel in two groups in series.
    i think the exact number that you get is 5.3 ohms.
    cheers,
    lowstar

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    My Genz-Benz GB610T-XB2 is 4 ohms. You must have a early generation 610 cabinet.

Contact Jeff Genzler at Genz-Benz and he'll provide you with all the information you need on your GB cabinet.

You can reach him at www.genzbenz.com

Click on the support button, then the contact us button.

Congrats and good luck

TD

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The nominal impedance of the cabinet is about 5.3 ohms, using standard 8 ohm drivers rather than paralleling 32 ohm drivers which have very small gauge VC wire and tend to be a bit fragile under heavy mechanical load.

Nominal impedance is really mis-leading in all cabinets since a speaker load is reactive and varies considerably with frequency. The difference between a nominal 5.3 and 4 ohm (depending on how nominal is defined) may not even be a measureable value, as each manufacturer defines nominal in a different way, if at all.

For example, there is a minimum impedance value which is much more important is a speaker's rating, since the amp's protection cricuits focus on this reigon of a speakers's impedance curve and if the minimum falls too low, can cause serius problems with some amplifier products if this is not considered in the amp's design. We generally avoid a minimum impedance dropping below the nominal impedance on our speaker products.

As far as any volume differences, total cabinet efficiency will outweigh any impedance difference of this magnitude anyway.

Hope this helps... and it looks like you did get a killer deal!