1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GB band questions

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by stratovani, May 18, 2011.

1. There's an ad in my local Craigslist looking for a bass player for a working GB (general business) band. It says, "We also need a grooving bassist. Age is not an issue if you can bring it!". It also says, "We are in a great pay scale with our venues so it's important that you understand the difference between showing up for a night of work and "jamming/drinking" in your buddy's basement." What do they mean by this? Are they looking for a bass player with many years' experience and a huge repertoire of songs in his head? I've only been playing for a few years now, and while I consider myself a good player I'm certainly not James Jamerson or Willie Weeks! I'd apperciate it if someone could school me on GB bands and what's needed from a bass player. I'm thinking of auditioning but I don't want to be wasting anyone's time if it requires a level of proficiency I simply don't have yet.

2. I'd take that to mean that they expect professionalisim. You are there to entertain the people who hired you, not yourself. It's a job. It's amazing how many "musicians" lose sight of this fact due to ego, drugs, alcohol, or plain old stupidity. If you think your chops are up to it, go audition. If you get the gig, great! Don't get your feelings hurt if you aren't ready and they tell you so. Consider it a learning experience, find out what, if anything you are lacking, and work hard to fill the gaps. Good luck!

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    What the heck is a "General Business" band? I have never heard that term before.

From the wording of their ad it sounds like they think they're pretty hot sh*t (nothing new for Craigslist, I understand). And maybe they are, and if so, more power to them and it could probably be a pretty sweet gig. It probably is just their way of saying they expect professionalism.

My question is, if they're all that, why are they advertising on Craigslist?

4. ForSix

ForSix

Jul 22, 2008
    GB is a common designation for bands that can pretty much play anything. You have to be able to sight read a lead sheet and make it sound like something.

Before GB, they were called Society Bands.

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Thanks for the explanation. I've played 31 years and this is the first time I had heard that term. Of course I've never been in a band like that either so that may explain it.

6. I think what they're trying to tell you is that when thy rehearse, they're organized and together to accomplish something and not just getting together to down beers and goof around.. Sounds like a pro outfit..

7. I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. When I go in to rehearse, I'm not there to screw around. I guess I'm just wondering aloud if I'm any good enough to hang with them. Guess there's only one way to find out.

8. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    You got it. Good luck.