Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GB Basses - (Attn UK Players)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by berklee46, Jun 4, 2003.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I'm back to seriously thinking about ordering a GB Bass from Bernie Goodfellow.

Not many people in the States have much experience with them, so any comments from you UK players who own one, or have played one would be much appreciated.
    (Flanker, where are you?:p )
    The reviews I've read have been very positive, but it's always nice to hear from the players directly.
    Here is the one I'm thinking of picking up:
    [​IMG]

Thanks

2. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    How much does that bass go for ?

3. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    They aren't cheap, but not too crazy compared to what else is out there.
    (This one is Bernie's personal bass, but it's still oer $2K)

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I met Bernie Goodfellow in 89 when he was making Nightinggale basses. I havent played a GB but I know someone who has. Michael Manring played one sitting on the chair in the preceeding photo.

5. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Hey CS,
    Thanks for the comments. I actually had spoken with Michael about the bass and he seemed to like it during the few minutes he played it,(which isn't a bad endorsement at all).

But he obviously wasn't able to let me know his thoughts on the stability, etc. I'm a Status player, so if I'm going to jump back into the wooden neck game, I want to be sure the necks are very well made...

6. Bernie is a seriously passionate guy & his love & enthusiasm for the guitars he builds knows no bounds. I was on his stand at MusicLive when the photo was taken. We had a long chat & I played some of his basses, culminating in an invitation to visit his workshop down in Croydon nr. London. I went down in Dec. 2002 and spent a day there, whilst Bernie rummaged through his stock of swamp ash blocks for bodies, various figured & quilted veneers, and neck lengths. You get to choose the lot. I originally wanted a GB Standard, but after playing a Rumour at Bernies place, (It totally blew me away!!) I ordered a four string Rumour in Red/Black Wicca finish, Gold hardware, red side LED's. Bernie is a crafty so & so. He set up an EBS rig for me to play through ( I had taken my Trace Elliot rig with me). The difference between the sounds from both rigs was astounding. So much so, that when I got home, I immediately sold all my Trace gear & am now the proud owner of an EBS 350 head EBS 410cab & EBS 15F cab.
    Here's the catch though: This stuff is expensive! But you get what you pay for: Endless volume, clear punchy tone & a rig that will give you all of the sounds you need from deep rumbling reggae to high end slap & funk.
    Here's the other catch: My Rumour is only just ready!! I haven't taken delivery yet ( I'm planning to pick it up this weekend). Ordered in December 2002, Ready June 2003. Be prepared for a long wait!! Bernie is incredibly busy, but I know when I play the guitar it will be perfect straight out of the box. I will never need another bass in my lifetime after this one, though I will keep my Precision & EB3, the Rumour will become my main gigging bass. Nobody sells a GB bass after owning one, even Bernie had to borrow some from his customers to put on his stand at MusicLive.
    My advice, speak to Bernie, tell him what you want from your bass. Try one if you can, even if you can't, order one!! It will be one of the best purchases you will ever make!

7. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Rumblebass,
    Thanks so much for the comments about the basses (and Bernie). I've actually talked with several times over the past few years - we just never got around to finalizing a deal.

One good thing about that is rather than having to wait for a GB-IV, he's offered to sell me the bass in the photo. It's his "show bass" that he brings to guitar shows to show it off as his best work. He's offered to relaquer it and have it in exactly the same condition it would be if nobody ever touched it. It's also got the top of the line "Rumour" electronics package :D

PS- I sent you a PM, if you get a chance, please check it.

8. Flanker

Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    UK
    Hey B46 I'm still here!

I've had my GB Standard shape with through neck for around three months now and I am very happy with it.I'm not expert enough to tell you about neck stability etc but the bass is very versatile and plays fantastic.

I too kicked my previous gear(Eden)into touch and now have an EBS TD650 and EBS 210/311 cabs.Way over the top for a guy not even in a band but hey ho, guess what - I don't care!!

I'll attach a pic or two but I'm up early tomorrow to flog around europe so I'll get back to any replies in 24 hrs or so.

9. Flanker

Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    UK
    two of three(not very good pic I know):

10. Flanker

Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    UK
    Last one:

11. Beautiful looking bass there Flanker. Was it made specifically for you or was it bought 'off the shelf'? With EBS Gear & a GB Bass, you could fit right in to any band you choose. Good luck to you.

Rumblebass