1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GB Contour 500 vs Markbass 151 Jeff Berlin?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaxmiser, Mar 17, 2013.

1. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    Anyone have experience with both of these? I am going out to look at combo amps.

I am downsizing (see Shuttlemax12 and Uber 212 for sale) and looking for something tonally in that world. I very seldom slap but play a lot of fingerstyle funk. I like a quick responding but meaty sound.

Any others I should check out. want to keep the weight under 50lbs.

2. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I guess the first question would be how happy are you with the tone of your current rig? If you love it, the Contour may keep you in a similar ballpark.

I quite like Markbass amps, but have yet to hear a cab of theirs I dug...no real lows to speak of and the few I've tried had serious fart out when you try to add nice low end. I'm sure there are folks who will say different, but that's been my experience.

I'd be more than tempted to have a 115 made with a built in 2 space rack...combos kinda freak me out because I never seem to love both the amp and the speaker. A single 4ohm 15" Faital loaded cab with a built in two space rack for your Genz would still stay well under your 50lb target range and yield much better results than any combo that comes to mind.

If you're dead set on the combo thing, I'd go with the Contour 500 or a Mesa Walkabout, personally :)

Good luck!

3. Can't speak for the Contour but I love my Berlin combo and since recently adding the NY151 even more. Everything from my '65 tape wound Rivoli to EMG PJ or p with flats sounds great through it.

4. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I like my Jeff Berlin combo too. I played a few other MarkBass amps and their low end didn't really do much for me - until this combo.... If I had to do it again I would have a cabinet made... Probably will some day!