GB Rumour pics (lots!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sshorepunk, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Heres a few pictures of the GB Rumour I picked up a few weeks back.
    burr myrtle front, cocabolo fingerboard, GB p/up's and electronics, blue LED's and LED controller
    This bass is sweet, it sounds as good as it looks!

Body close up

Rear of body close up

Party time!

Some on, some off!

2. Nice. Bernie Goodfellow doesn't seem to get as much attention as he deserves for making such sweet looking basses.
  3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

very nice !!! beautiful slab of wood ya' got there ...

what are all the compartments in the back of the bass ??
    control cavity , 18v. battery box for pickups , and what else ??
    battery compartment for the LED's ?? :confused:
  4. That really is lovely, great bass dude!

I got to know Bernie sort of OK-ish just before I left Brighton, typical really as I was just getting frustrated by all the nice bass shops being in London and he sets up his new place at Seven Dials in Brighton, which was about ten minutes walk from my old flat in Hove! I buy my EBS gear direct from him, but I am really impressed with his basses too, my only reservation is the body shape, I just don't like the slightly bulbus shape at the end of the body, it reminds me of those 1980s Jay Dees Mark King used to play, but I like Warwick's and I know they aren't to a lot of people's tastes.

However, I know the level of craftsmanship that Bernie puts in to each and every instrument so it's just my personal taste that gets in the way of me loving these basses. Also his electrics are pretty special!! My only gripe with these though is that he seems to use huge circuit boards, when the equivelant boards now exist, but utilise micro-components, it would just mean that the back of the bass could show off a little more of that gorgeous wood...sorry, just a few random thoughts on Bernie's work - overall though it's a very beautiful bass - I'm sure you're 110% happy with it! ;) Enjoy!!!
  5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I hope that it came with some rechargable 9v batteries....
  6. Yep, Bernies work is A1, also the back up you get is second to none, just a phone call away, he will pull out all the stops to make sure his customers are 100% satisfied.
    As for the electronics, I think he retains the large traditional circuit boards to enable him to develop the circuit over time, like Urb Munki said the electronics in the bas are pretty special and able to produce a wide range of tones, the series parallel switch is highly effective to the point where I think there's something else going on there :ninja:
    I find the body shape well balanced, took a bit of getting used to after playing a GB spitfire (about 1/2 hr!) also the neck is soooo fast, feels like silk.
    The extensive routing on the back is for the active circuit board plus it's 2x9volt batteries and the second of the larger cavities is for the LED controller and it also has 2x9volt batteries. LED's ain't really my thing but this is the best of a few Rumours I looked at and it just so happened to have them, they are cool though, even the logo on the headstock lights up. The controller is a kind of sound to light system which is controlled by the smaller of the 6 pots, it's a 9 position switch, each position having a different pattern that responds to what your playing!

I was playing thru EBS gear, a 4x10 and an HD 350 head until a few weeks back! Got a chance on a Fafner so sold the HD 350 and then found the Fafner was no longer available, a bit p*ssed off about that, got an Eden Traveller on loan at the moment as I ain't got the ££ to buy a new Fafner from Bernie so it looks like another HD 350, which suits me fine or maybe an Ashdown Labs MK500 but I just ain't into MK signiture stuff, it just ain't my thing! I heard they sound good though!!

(GB Spitfire for sale in the UK, will ship anywhere if postage is paid!)
  7. Hey Tony, I'm sure if I owned a GB bass I'd learn to love it soon enough - and that's cool about the circuit boards, at least the results justify the means as it were!

On the subject of the EBS stuff, that's a real pisser that he/they couldn't do you a Fafner, they are stunning but I noticed from your profile that were using the HD350 which I also have - running the 1x15 cab - which sounds great. I want another cab - probably a 2x10 - so I can split the unit between home and gigs/rehearsals - but IMO Ashdown just doesn't do the business like the EBS gear - there seems to be something missing in the AShdown sound - I know it's "balls!"

That's just my feelings on the subject - Hartke and Eden are both cool - but Bernie's basses sound awesome with EBS and that's a fact!

Have a great time with that bass - I'd love a go on it...damn you live in Manchester...I'll actually be visiting Manchester next weekend for a bit of the jazz festival - I'll be checking out Jon Thorne's band on the Satutrday night - then popping down to Matt & Phreds for some after hours fun .

8. Nice! I like the small, sort of recessed body due to 24 frets.
  9. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Stunning. Absolutely stunning.

Am I jealous?

Yes. :bawl:
  10. Get one then!

Thx for resurrecting my old thread!

I've had this bass about 6 weeks now (I think) and it rocks, great range of sounds, nice low action, just feels right to play :)
    Problem is, not had an amp for the last two weeks :(

11. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    I am, thanks to Mr Zenbass managing to organise things for me. Just don't tell the missus, she doesn't know about my latest extravagance yet. :eek:

Glad to hear yours sounds and plays so well! And it really is one of the best looking instruments I've ever seen; I reserve the right to covet it even if I do have one of my own on order!

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Did you get the Ashdown head? If not, DON'T DO IT! It doesn't even compare to the EBS amps. It's noisy and has too much stuff that just doesn't compare to the great sound of EBS.

If you already got the Ashdown..............sorry. :bag:
  13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Very nice bass. He should use something other than electrical tape to fix all of his mistakes though.
  14. Thanks for the info, no, I haven't got it yet, it's on its way, if it dosen't work for me I'll be going back to EBS.
    I played Ashdown for a few years and was happy with gear, EBS is a whole different ball game though, some would say better, others would say different! so we'll wait and see what the Ashdown does.

And yes, I'll have to fix up all them mistakes with somewthing more permanent :)

15. Chris, which model are you getting, Rumour or Standard / Spitifre?

16. GB.....those are my initials!!!

Guess I'll have to name my future bass company something else :p

Very nice looking bass though. I like it much
  17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I used to have the Ashdown ABM500 and it was a great amp. The MK500 just didn't do it for me. I did recently hear the EBS HD350 through their 410 and it was fantastic. If I hadn't just bought a Glockenklang I honestly would have gotten that EBS amp.

I do hope that the Ashdown gives you what you're looking for. If Mark King uses it than it certainly can't be bad. I also didn't have much time with the amp so that could have changed things.
  18. At the risk of going a bit off topic here, I'll explain how I ended up with the iminent arrival of an MK500.
    I had an EBS HD350 with an EBS 4x10 and had the opportunity to upgrade my amp to the Fafner model for very little ££ more than what I would get for my HD350, so off went the HD350 onto e-bay and it sold a week later. Then I found out the Fafner oppurtunity had gone and the MK500 became an option. I figured I might as well go for it, give it a try, if it don't work out for me, I'll change it. I'm in a good position on this because I'm getting a good deal due to me doing some work for a music store in the UK.
    (if this turns into a bad move I'll be going back to EBS, no question!)
    I'll let you know how I get on