1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GB Shuttle 6.0 vs GK 1001 RB II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Musicman20, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Ok...so...can someone please help me choose?

This head is going to be my main gigging head...with my Orange being for better gigs and recording.

I want lightweight and lots of clean tone, but with grit. Just something that will cut through and actually be loud but very small. I realise the 1001 isnt that small!

Thanks

PS will be going through Ampeg 810 (mainly house cabs) or my 810 or my Orange Cabs.

Thanks

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    *bump*

3. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    founder, AceNote Inc.
    Love my Shuttle 6.0. Plenty of oomph in a microscopic package, fraction the size and weight of the GK1001. I routinely play though both. Personal preference goes to the GB, for the tone and weight, but I have no problems with the GK.

There's probably upwards of 500 posts on this very topic, so do a little searching and you will have hours of reading. :D

4. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    If you haven't already you should also consider the new GB Shuttlemax 6.0. Bigger version of the Shuttle with more features.

5. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    I absolutely love Genz Benz, but of those choices I would choose the 1001. The Shuttle 6.0 didn't really do it for me (the GBE 1200 is a completely different story), but I loved the 700RB-II that I had for a while. I would love to have another one, but for the time being my Fathom and GBE 1200 are just too good to justify having another amp :) Besides, the 1001 isn't all that big... you'll be fine.

6. GK MB2-500 super light, loud! and gritty
    it's very close to my 1001RBII...

IMO way better for "grit" than the Shuttle (the Boost channel rocks!)

449.00 shipped from RMC Audio

7. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The Genz will be a bit warmer. That's going to be the biggest difference, IMO - the tube pre. I haven't A/B'd these two amps, but I've played through them both. If you want a tube pre, the Genz is great. If you want that signature GK tone, the 1001 might their best amp for that. Both have fantastic EQ's so you'll be able to dial things around. Two wonderful amps, you'll be happy with either one.

Another poster mentioned the ShuttleMAX, and IMO that amp slays the GK. The SS pre does the GK thing very well, while the tube pre adds another dimension especially when blended together.

8. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I think you've got to get out there and try them both. And don't rule out the 700rbII. It's a bit lighter than the 1001, and personally, I think the 700 is every bit as loud as the 6.0. Plus the 700 is a bit cheaper than the 1001.

Ljazz