1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GB Shuttle 6.0 vs. Orange Bass Terror vs. GK MB 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Murph_Orpheus, Apr 25, 2010.

1. I need a lightweight head that I can carry around easily as I'm in a few bands and have to travel to practise for a couple of them. I play mainly down tuned metal, any advice on which one of these would be best for that?

2. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Orange would be my pick. Very rock tone.

3. I've not used the GK but out of the GB and the Orange, I'd choose the Orange by a mile. Very rock sounding and sounds like a tube amp in the mix. I also think it has a much darker sound which I like.

4. Cheers for the advice guys :)

5. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    This question is like , " Which is better? Blondes, Brunettes, or Redheads? Maybe shaved?"
    My vote is GK.

6. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    Definitely not shaved!

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Genz Benz would not be my choice for a rock tone given your other two candidates.

If you're looking for a darker, more overdriven type rock tone, go with the Orange.

If you're looking for a brighter, cleaner, but grittier type rock tone, go with the GK.

8. I had the chance to play a friend's GK 700rb today and I liked it quite a lot. Would the MB 500 have a similar tone? Could I get the same kind of lows as the 700rb?

9. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I had a 700rbII for a couple years and it was great. I sold it (bad G.A.S) to get an MB500. The MB500 is every bit as good as the 700rbII and weighs almost 13 lbs. less, with all the same bells and whistles. In fact My GAS has returned and i just ordered an MB115 to leave at the practice room .

10. I ordered the Bass Terror at my local retailer today and they should have it next wednesday for me, excited is an understatement! Now if only time could go faster for the next week :D

11. The Orange Bass Terror is a great sounding amp, I use mine with an Orange OBC115 and an Orange SP212 and it kicks butt.

12. I'll report back with my experience of it when I get it. Gonna be running it through a GK Neo 212, can't wait! :)

13. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I had a chance to try out the Orange stuff. The Terror into the SP212 was just pumping out some fat sound! I had the store bring over an MB500, and it was not nearly as fat and warm. However, I do find the MB500 very similar in tone to my 1001RBII, so I think if you like the 700 you'll like the MB.

14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Just played a gig in Dallas using a Shuttle 6.0 driving two Epifani 8 ohm 210 cabs (one UL S1 and one NYC). It was a somewhat loud trio. The Shuttle kicked "behinder" very fiercely. Played an active P/J and a RW Jazz. :ninja: