1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GB shuttle 6.0 w ampeg 8x10??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kalebwws, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Kalebwws

Kalebwws

Oct 11, 2013
    Hey. I currently own a SVT CL bit it's bust once again. I'm tired of the headaches it gives me, but I have a due that's willing to trade a gB6.0 an some cash. Will the BG shuttle 6.0 be able to power my 8x10 fridge?? I also run a tech21 sans amp, so that'd be where I rely on my tone....thoughts?? I don't wanna shoot myself in the foot and end up unhappy/not enough juice. I play in a touring pop punk band, so I need beef

2. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I think you'd be just fine. No experience with the GB Shuttle 6.0 but my Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 coupled with an Ampeg 810 will get louder than I could ever imagine needing - and that was in a VERY loud band.

3. Not to be a party pooper, but I use a gb shuttle as a backup for a 300 watt tube head, on occasion, and it's not quite the same. The shuttle 6.0 is apparently voiced a little more thinly to pair better with small speaker cabs. I'd try the shuttle 9 or better yet the 9.2 for a bigger cab like an 810 that can take that kind of power.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Plenty of power. Totally different tone. But if you are sending the Tech 21 to the board you will be fine.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What's wrong with your CL?

6. Kalebwws

Kalebwws

Oct 11, 2013
    Not exactly sure what's wrong, maybe something to do w the power conditioner? This is the 3rd time I've had this problem, and the main tech in my city won't even work on SVT's because it keeps happening. I can't afford another major repair

7. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    You'll be fine. I used to drive my Kustom fridge with my Shuttle 6.0 all the time. Plenty of power.

8. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Maybe the tech is the problem.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, no kidding. If he can't work on an SVT, how good a tech can he be?

10. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    and hes having the same issue with all of them which makes me wonder if its something hes doing wrong

11. Kalebwws

Kalebwws

Oct 11, 2013
    So should I take the trade???

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I wouldn't. But I would find a good qualified amp tech, and fix that CL.

13. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I used a Shuttle 6.0 with an Ampeg 8x10 quite a bit over the last couple of years and it works very well. Loud enough to annoy most soundmen in most small to medium sized rooms. Delivers what to my ears is a nice fat rock sound too.

14. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I have to ask, just because I am confused. You run a SVT-CL but you rely on a SansAmp for your tone? The SansAmp was designed to emulate the amp you are currently using, so I guess I am missing something.

To answer your question, I would keep the Ampeg, and find a tech that knows what he is doing. There is nothing inherently wrong with the SVT that causes it to be unreliable. They have been solid road dogs for years.

15. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I'm going to walk a middle road here. The 6.0 on top of a fridge as a provided backline was my first experience with micros, and convinced me they can be capable. That combo kicked butt! ...but to trade for a CL? ...even a broken one? He'd better be offering a LOT of cash, IMO.

16. I think it would think be like like a chihuahua humping a Saint Bernard. It would work just fine, but it would look funny.

17. Kalebwws

Kalebwws

Oct 11, 2013
    My SVT just hasn't been a reliable "road dog". This would be my 3rd major repair, in about 5 years of solid use. I'm just tired of the headache, and can't afford another big fix. I'm not super picky w my tone, that's what I have the tech21 for. But I don't wanna disappoint the rest of my band. Today's the day I need I decide, so I appreciate all the help

18. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    If your tone isnt a big deal get the GB, its easier to pack around.

19. timmerz

timmerz

Jan 2, 2005
    Manteca, Ca.
    The guy I sold my 6.0 to demo'd the Shuttle on his Ampeg 8x10 in his rehearsal studio in S.F, and he was buying it to use as a backup to his original SVT while it was being serviced or in case it ever went down on the road...he was severely impressed, and I think the quote went something like, "Huh! I'll be d****d, they were right!" and he paid my asking price plus $60 for my gas and time...

20. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    I think youl be fine. ..and you may even get rid of the sans amp...depending on how much grit you like.
    but I thinm youll find that u can dial in sweet a$$ tones w the shuttlle