1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GB Shuttle 9.0 and GB ShuttleMax 6.0

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brutalron, Oct 22, 2010.

1. brutalron

brutalron

Dec 5, 2007
    Connecticut
    I am in the market for a new head. I just sold my Eden Wt405. Which i liked but i didn't love. Aside from the most obvious differences; power, EQ, size, does anyone have any experience with either of these great amps?

From what i have read, they have a different "deeper" voicing than the shuttle 6.0. This is great.

Like I said, I know the differences in the specs. I am wondering if anyone had any real experience with either.

For now, I would be plugging the amp into a 8 ohm Aguilar GS212. I play funk, jazz, and rock.

Thanks for any and all help.

2. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Did you look at the Shuttle 9.0 appreciation thread?

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    9.0 will be my new head - along with an Uber Quad cab - assuming the cab sounds as good as I hope.

4. brutalron

brutalron

Dec 5, 2007
    Connecticut
    I did a week or so ago, I don't seem to remember any comparisons. I will give it another look but i would still be open for any input from TB members

5. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    The feedback is that the 9.0 is voiced deeper, perhaps to accommodate the larger cabs that Genz Benz anticipates will be matched to it. I owned the 6.0 (not Max series) and now own the 9.0. I agree with the deeper voicing comment - the Shuttle 9.0 is great!

6. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    I own a Shuttlemax 6.0 and gig it about 5 times a week. It is a great head for Funk, Jazz, R n B, Soul, etc. You can honestly EQ any tone imaginable with the Max heads...EQ and voicing options galore. While the 9.0 has more power, the Shuttle max has both a 'tube' and 'Fet' pre amp sections. This allows you to dial in and switch between 2 different EQ's with the push of a button (on the footswitch or on the head). I dial in my tube section for fingerstyle, and the Fet section for slap tone. Considering the styles of music you play, I'm not sure you need 900 watts. However, I would suggest selling the Aggie for a nice 4. Ohm cab because on a SM 6.0, you will only get 375 watts @ 8ohms. You will get the full 600 at 4 ohms. My head is paired with a Genz Benz Neox 212T, a 4 ohm 2 x 12 cab. It produces WAY more power that I will ever need, even in large outdoor venues. A a Shuttlemax, a 'deeper voicing' is a push of the Low end boost' filter and a bit od EQing away. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask my any questions you want to know. Cheers.

7. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I do wish that the Signal Shape section on the 9.0 had variable controls, like the Max Series, instead of just pre-set on/off.

8. brutalron

brutalron

Dec 5, 2007
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the input so far fellas. The issues I am really wrestling with is the extra EQ versatility of the Max 6 vs the extra power I would get from the Shuttle 9. Amazing that both of these are under 6lbs.
    For the time being, I plan on adding a Aguilar GS112 to the GS212 when I play a larger venue. I can get one cheap.

--faulknersj
    Regardless of the cabs, do you find yourself using the extra EQ and tone capabilities of the Max 6?

9. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    I do use the EQ section, particularly on the Fet section for slap. I scoop mids and to variable degrees and cut at different frequencies depending on the bass I am using. On the Tube section, I start flat and then dial the room. The most useful design feature that the Max has, and the 9.0 does not is the freedom to dial in 2 completely different tones using the Fet and Tube sections. Unless you are competing with a Marshall or Boogie stack on 11, I just can't imagine the need for more than 600 watts. I set my master volume at 25% max at gigs and my pre gains and volumes at about 60%. However, I can't offer a direct comparison because I have not used the 9.
    0. I hope this helps:)

10. Interesting question. For my "louder" gigs my main head is a Shuttle 6.0, and to upgrade it (which I hope to) I would be facing the decision you are. I think Faulkner sums it up about right based on what I understand. Don't know what size gigs you play, but kicking 600 watts through 4 ohms is enough for me for now, so do you trade up to 900 or try for additional versatility through the Max?

11. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Agreed. The only advantage I see to the extra watts is the ability to turn the tube way down when using a 4 ohm cab for the cleanest possible tone (not having the FET option).

12. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Although its not the best answer, you could always get an eq pedal to fake a second channel.

I have a DIY Bass RC Booster and the new ews tri-logic II to do such stuff as I have the Shuttle 9.0. I love this amp.

13. DrBone

DrBone

Oct 25, 2007
    Jersey City, NJ
    It's possible to blend the two channels on the MAX 6.0 right? How does that work exactly, I don't see a 'blend' knob or anything like that on the amp, is it just a combination of the volume controls on the pre-amps?

14. redrider

redrider

Jun 6, 2007
    You blend by selecting both channels on the head or through the footswitch.

15. brutalron

brutalron

Dec 5, 2007
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the help fellas. I think I am leaning towards the ShuttleMax 6. The 9.0 is still a contender, though. I wish i could really just play them side by side and be done with it.

If anyone else has any input, thanks ahead of time.

16. wengr

wengr

Jul 21, 2010
    same here. I know that I have no real need for the power of the nine. The only reason I have hesitated to buy a 6 or a 12 (which is a 6 x 2), is that the power output module on the 9 is different. Not just bigger but different brand maybe? It makes me wonder if that is in large part responsible for all the 9 fans here.