1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GB Uber 410 modifications

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrb327, Dec 24, 2016.

1. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    @agedhorse
    @beans-on-toast @B-string

I have a GB Uber 410. Great cabinet. Little too much speaker at home.

I'm interested in rewiring the input so as to make it run 210 on each input jack. Is this possible with the porting arrangement?

Not interested in buying another cabinet to get to a 210

Thanks in advance

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Good question with an answer you aren't going to like...

Since the speakers share the same acoustic space space, all 4 must operate together. Otherwise the driver's acoustic loading will be severely impacted. Not only will the low end performance be impacted but the power handling will be greatly reduced to about 1/2 of the driver's nominal rating.

The drivers must receive identical input signal, so splitting is not a good idea.

The exception to this is for cabinets that use isolated acoustic spaces, but this adds significant weight and is not all that common given most player's desire for lighter weight cabinets.

3. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Thanks for your response.

I kinda figured the internals of the cab would limit my ability to try this.
    Might have to look for a good used GB 210

agedhorse likes this.
  4. You have a really good speaker cabinet. Leave it alone! Anything you do to “improve” it will just detract from it’s value.

smogg likes this.
  5. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Yeah I have no interest in messing this up. I was hoping it was separated internally so I could wire it as a 210 & a 210.

Certainly the best cab I've owned

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Try to raise the cabinet to ear level. This will allow you to turn the volume level down and monitor your playing better. This makes a big difference and might allow you to keep your cabinet.

I use a Leslie cabinet or an ATA case as a base, about 36" high. Try anything that you can come up with to experiment. If it works for you, you can seek out a more permanent solution.

smogg likes this.
  7. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Part of my attempt was to get to the 210 to push the V4b a little harder to get on the gain stages with less volume (at home)

Looking like maybe a (different) smaller cabinet (located near ear level) might be the ticket. Plenty of used gear out there

Finding some used GK 15" cabinets. Any opinion on the voicing and quality of those (non-Backline series)?

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Not sure if any speaker cab is going to be quieter at home levels and push a V4B hard. They are all pretty loud. The first thing that you should try is turning down the master and turning up the gain to give you preamp distortion.

What I do when I want distortion at lower levels with my SVT and V4B is to use a pedal at the input. I use a VTBass from tech21nyc. Two types of pedals, can be used in this case, a distortion pedal, or a booster that saturates the input stage. The latter can provide more of a creamy distortion. Of course a pedal can be used that both distorts and saturate the input stage.

You never know how a cab is going to really sound with an amp till you try it. Some perform better than others. But a 115 is still going to be room shaking loud.