1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GB Uber 410 or just a GAS problem...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GroovyBaby, Sep 28, 2010.

1. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby G&L Fanboy Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    Ok, I was playing an SWR 350 head through an Aguilar GS2x12. I had the thing cranked but just couldn't get the volume I needed to complete with three guitarists (yea, 3). So, I got a Genz Benz GBE750 to push the Aguilar and I have a LOT more punch. However, I'm still running the head at about 60-70% on the master volume. Then a friend lent me an old custome 2x15 in a road ready case (kind of like a mesa but sealed, not ported) and it is SO MUCH louder than the 2x12 I'm blown away. I'm keeping the master volume down at about 20% and getting the same volume level. I really like the tone out of the Aguilar but I'm thinking I might just need more cone area to move more air. I'm also thinking I might just have G.A.S.. So, I'm looking at the GB Uber 410 and wondering if anyone has experience with these cabs. Tone is obviously subjective but I would love to know how it compares to the Aguilar GS 212 if anyone has experience with them. Oh, what to do....:meh:

2. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Sorry, I have no experience with the GB Uber cabs... have heard GREAT things about them, though. It makes sense that the Aguilar was being drowned out by 3 gu!tars. The Aggie is a great sounding cab(I've had mine for 6 years), but it puts out a deep, full sound moreso than an aggressive, cutting sound. A quality 410, like the Uber, would certainly be louder, puchier, and go probably just as deep... or close to.
    I think you would be justified going for the GB. You already have the perfect head for it. Sorry I can't help more.

3. GroovyBaby

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    Ok, so maybe the "need" is real and it isn't just G.A.S.. I needed to hear that. Still would like some comments on the tone and volume of the Uber 410 if someone has experience. There don't seem to be a lot of them out there...

4. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    I've owned my Uber 410 for over a year now and love it. I use it with my GBE 1200 and Mesa M6 and M9 amps... it's as loud as you want it to be. I would describe the tone as thick and aggressive, with a lot of growl and a tight low-end. I've often considered picking up a GBE 750 to complement my 1200, so it sounds to me like the Uber would be great fit for you.

5. GroovyBaby

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    I'm feeling the pull! No one has yet said "The volume difference won't be much" or anything else negative. Truth is I hate to spend the money BUT if it is THE cabinet and it will pump out the volume AND sound warm then it would be worth it. I thought the Aguilar might be that cabinet. It is good and I love the tone but it just isn't that loud. The other guitarists have things like old Fender tube amps pushing 4x10s. When we play out, sometime we only run the vocals and keys through the PA so my bass cab needs to push some air. Anyone else care to encourage me to part with my hard earned bucks or tell me to hold tight?

6. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    All three guitarists using old tube amps and 410's? I don't think there is a 212 out there that can compete! Plus, the SWR head is severely scooped in the low mid frequencies (200-400hz) and this is where you need to have a good portion of sound to cut through 3 guitarists. In this situtation, I don't think you should have anything LESS than a 410. Heck, get two 410's for shows without Bass PA support.

7. GroovyBaby

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    OK, I'm starting to be a believer. Maybe my exhaust system on the car can hold out for a few more months...the Uber 410 might be calling my name.

8. Don't forget to pick up some good earplugs while you're at it. I'm not kidding.

-jb

9. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    The Uber 212 is also a good choice. I've been using one for a little over a year and love it. It is definitely more efficient than the GS212 (I also owned and loved one of these) so you would get more volume.

Or, sell the car and get 2 Uber 210s and stack them vertically.

10. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    If the 215's worked well for you why not get a 215? You know it will have the volume and a least it wont be a gamble.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Tone is subjective, but my ears loves some Uber cab. The 212 is LOUD, the 410 will KILL.

12. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I guess i'm asking on drdunwoody's behalf, but does this sum up the Uber cabs? I don't really know why, but i've always been under the impression that GB is known for a very bright, modern sound. Do the Uber's pump the warmth?
    I'm interested in this too because i'd like to add a cab to my rig in the very near future.... though probably a 215 or 412.

13. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    The link to our website is below - every bass track except The Trail Behind was mic'd and recorded from the Uber using a couple of different amps and basses (happy to elaborate over PM if interested). Hard rock/borderline metal, and I'm thrilled with the bass tones I was able to achieve.

www.thehandofmidasband.com

Also, Fretlessboy has some great Uber vids on YouTube - searching "Fretlessboy" will bring them up. Tons of great info there.

14. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks, man. I'll be sure to check 'em out when I get on my home PC. I'm just using my little netbook at the moment which has the equivalent of an earbud speaker for sound.

15. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Yes. IMO they hit that sweet spot between modern and vintage tone, i.e. warmth and definition.

16. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I would do a pair of uber210's for flexibility (and I did).
    Check YouTube.com for videos. You can search Fretlessboy or Genz-Benz. I am sure you will find something to listen to.

17. GroovyBaby

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    Thanks for ALL the feedback! I'm still wrestling. Yes, I always have ear plugs with me...I wear them when needed. Why not get a 2x15? I'm use to the fast response of the 12s and when I play the 2x15 I like the phattness BUT I don't like the delay. There is this split second where I'm thinking..."I know I just played a note, where is....OOHH, there it is!" The nicest sounding rig I ever had was a single 15" SVT ampeg with a 2x10 SWT Goliath Jr. I'm looking a single cab solution to cover all my needs. I've also been considering an SWR Goliath III and a Mesa 4x10 because there are some used available. I've also considered a used Aguilar gs410 since I like the GS212 sound so much. Seems like the best "bang for the buck" would be a used SWR or Mesa. The Genz is a rare beast and would be new because of it. Hm...

18. GroovyBaby

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    AND...a balance between warmth and modern sounds great. I like a full frequency range WITHOUT a boomy bottom. Tight and deep is my preference. I don't want the cab to color things...just reproduce what my bass and bass head are doing.