Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GBE 500H Clipping at low volumes...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Muckaluck, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Hi,

I've had my GBE 500H for a while now and I love the sound and power. I bought it used and I've noticed that the clip light goes off really easily at low volumes. When I have it going at 4 ohms to a 2 cab stack the preamp can clip when the pre fet and tube gain are at about 3/8 and the master volume will clip at around 3/8 as well. There is a noticable clipping comming out of the speakers when the clip indicator comes on. My Bass is a Lakland 55-01 and I'm going through the active input.

I'm just wondering. I know this has a tube pre-amp and I've never changed the tube. Could that be my problem? Using a compressor pedal helps stop the clipping but the pedal takes away a lot of my bottom end and is a pain in the butt in live situations when I need to constantly change my dynamics. Any other suggestions or similar experiences?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Did you try just turning down the bass? Maybe it is just too hot even for the active input.

3. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    Probably too hot signal. Do you have boosted EQ on the Lakland?

4. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Yeah i am running a boosted eq on the lakland... Mids on the Lakland are almost on full and lows are about 1/2.... and the eq on the amp is boosted as well.... low mids are almost on full, lows are 3/4 and highs are 3/8.

Do you think that's what's making it clip?

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Probably. Try flatting the EQ on the bass and messing with the EQ on the amp instead.

6. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The EQ on Genz-Benz amps is very powerful.

Instead of boosting, try cutting other frequencies and turning up your overall volume.