1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GBE 600 Volume Cutting fading in and out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WashburnBasser, Sep 23, 2008.

1. I'm getting the occasionally volume fluctuation with my Genz Benz GBE 600. The volume sometimes starts to fade out, and then fades back in. This usually happens over a span of ten seconds. The clip light on the tube pre section fade down from the slightly overdriven state I normal have it, leading me to believe that it may be a problem with either the pre section itself, or something from my bass to amp. I have an effects board, but bypassing all the effects while this phenomenon is occurring doesn't have any effect. I'm thinking the cables may be at fault here. I also thought it could be a problem with the preamp tube, but I think I got it to happen on the FET section also. I did play direct into the amp for a few minutes and it didn't happen, but I didn't play long enough to tell for sure. Any ideas?

2. Anyone?

3. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Send a PM to Hasbeen. He comes on here pretty regular and is the product manager for GB. He can help you better than anyone else on here.

4. Yeah, just wanted to give you guys a chance to respond in case this wasn't related to the amp.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Is it an active bass with an old battery??? We get this one pretty regularly ;)

If you see a change on the input O/L LED, then it's most likely follwoing the input signal strength and you may have a bad cable, effect, battery, etc. The only other thing to try is to just cycle the effects return jacks with a 1/4" plug. It's possible there's a bit of debris causing an intermittent contact, and the jack is in series with the signal path. If the LED changes in intensity, it's not the jack but it can't hurt cycling them.

6. Nope, not an active bass. I'll try cycling the jacks, and also switching out the cables till I find the culprit. Thanks!