Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GBE 600 vs SansampRBI+poweramp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dethrock, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Hey guys,

im currently in the market for a new bass amp i want something to scare the crap out of two guitarists who play through marshall dual super leads.

so far the two choices i keep coming back to are the sansamp rbi+poweramp option and the genzbenz 600.

im after warmth and power with a touch of dirt to play stoner rock/metal.

any thoughts bearing in mind ampeg stuff is out of my price range.

thanks

2. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    I would go with Genz Benz. One unit - simplier - no extra cable, no need for rack.

3. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Genz Benz!!
    Although I've never played through an RBI/Power amp rig, the Genz Benz will do everything you're looking for, and probably be lighter. Plus, you can significantly control the tone with the footswitches, so you can change mid-song, which you can't do with the RBI.
    My guitar player got a new Mesa rig a few months ago that was blowing away my Ampeg rig. I switched to Genz Benz and now I can hear myself again!

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    As cool a little unit the RBI is, the GBE-600 smokes it IMO! Fat, clean, and very loud! It can easily get some natural tubey OD, I'm not so sure about over-distorted grind. Sounds a lot better than it costs... ;)

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I have a power amp and Sansamp setup. I won't go back.

6. Cool what cabs are you running with your GBE600 are you doing the 2 ohm thing?

7. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I'm still running a 4 ohm Ampeg 410 cab. Currently shopping around for a new cabinet.

You might also want to think about adding a Sansamp BDDI in front of the GBE600 to get the heavier distortion you're looking for....that's what I do, and I'm extremely happy with the versatility and power of the setup, plus, then the distortion is footswitchable.
    Good luck, hope you find something that works for you!

8. cool thanks for the feedback guys

the bddi idea could be cool i hadnt even considered that i imagaine things could get pretty dirty and growly combining those 2 preamps.....

what style of music are you using this setup for davepack?

i think ill get a genz benz neo212 to start with and maybe add something else down the track depending on how that goes...

cheers :p

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    I would go for a GBE600 and would add a TECH21 BDDI pedal...

10. The RBI and poweramp will probably have more headroom, as the Genz is only 600watts at 2ohms...(although the Genz is underated IMO)

Secondly, are you a knob/eq tweaker, cause the Genz has a very extensive EQ to play with, while the the RBI is a pretty straight forward cleanish preamp...

I'd say the Genz definitely has the better preamp, but depending on your needs, may fall short power wise unless you've got a decent and efficient stack?

You can also get nice grit out of overdriving the tube preamp on the Genz and buy the foot-pedal to switch channels if you like?

11. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    You should only find the volume of the GBE600 to be insufficient if you are playing an arena show and the PA fails. I've owned one, and never had to push it hard. It easily gave me as much volume as any 400 watt tube head, more than a 900 watt SWR, and kept up with a 1200 watt pre/power setup. Although it has a good EQ section, it sounds great with everything "flat." I used the low, hi, and mid switches to do all my tone shaping so I could make changes instantly. The one thing it didn't do to my satisfaction was distortion, so I'd go with the GBE600 plus a pedal of your choice.

12. I think maybe my band just plays exceptionally loud? I was clipping the GBE 600 at practice with all eq set flat through a 410 & 115!

13. I think it's lack of headroom at 4ohms was the problem for me... it was loud enough, but just kept clipping if I played hard on the low B...

14. the gbe600 is amazing. i agree the 625 watts at 2 ohms is very very loud.

15. I have a GBE 600 and enjoy it a lot. I have not exceeded its limits, but I'm older, play in a manner to preserve my hearing and have no idea what stoner rock is or sounds like. But, if I wanted to involve myself in a volume war for "not much money" I would probably buy 4 used Bag End 15s. They have been around for years and can be more easily found used than some other cabs. The tone would be strong in the low mids, the volume would be immense due to the cabs being very efficient and you would be using all 625 watts at 2 ohms.

16. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    That makes sense, I ran mine at 2 ohms (4 8 ohm cabs) and had no problems.

17. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Keep in mind, if your talking "volume war", you may want to look more closely at your cab choice. There is no substitute for speaker surface area. The GBE 600 would sound great through a 2x10 cabinet, great and louder through a 4x10, great and louder still through an 8x10. It's pure physics. :bassist:

18. Don't forget speaker design. Not all speakers are created the same. I have played the same instrument and head through different cabs (same configurations...4x10) and can say that some cabs (ampegs, in my experience) are no where near as efficient as others.

19. :cool: I've got a GBE-600 which I run through a Genz NEOX 212 and NEOX 210. I've gotta' tell ya' that I've played in some rather large places with this set-up and I've never had to push it. This amp is amazing in tone, power, and ease of use. These cabs are pretty efficient and the amp is plenty powerful. I really don't see how you could possibly go wrong with the GBE-600. I didn't.

Good luck on your search.

20. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    +1. People often ask me if they have enough watts. Often they do but they don't have enough speaker.