Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gbe 600, walkabout, or mpulse 360?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aenema, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    ive already done a lot of research on the genz head and its definitely a contender. i started reading about mesas and everyone seems to love them. im looking for a head that will do old school tube groove as well as new school slapping and tapping. my only question is would a walkabout or mpulse 360 be loud enough for a really loud modern rock band that adds a touch of metal? ill be going against your typical half stack and a very LOUD aggressive drummer. my speakers will most likely be 2x12 avatar + 2x10 avatar. i havent wrote off the possibility of a an eden metro combo with an additional 2x10 xlt cab.

2. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Any of the above will do just fine.

The Genz will do a two ohm load (but the Walkabout will as well, I hear). This will allow you a lot of speaker area, and loudness (in theory) if you use eight ohm cabs (four of 'em).

However, using four speaker cabinets is fairly unconventional, and would be a pain to haul around (unless you've got a couple 1x12's and a 2x10, and a 1x15... which wouldn't be too bad, but would still be bad ass). Also, only ~150 watts would be going to each speaker cabinet at max volume with the head.

I'm going with the Genz (found a good deal, waiting on pictures from the guy) because I like both ss and tube sounds, and this lets me buy one head, rather than two.

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    why stop at the 360? go for the M-Pulse 600, I did and have been VERY happy with the result. :D

4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    What he said.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Winner!! I played in the exact same type of band you play in. Same music too. I used a Metro, and it kicked butt. When needed, I would add a 210XLT. I never had volume issues, and my tone was great for whatever we played. The Metro is an excellent choice for a 210 combo.

If you want to be crazy loud, put a 410XLT under it..

-Mike

6. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    because i have yet to hit the lotto.... how much do you think i could scoop an mpulse 600 for used?

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I got mine used from the TB'er '57PBass' for $925. I see them going for about $900 pretty consistantly.

8. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    bah.... i was hoping to get away with a grand for my whole rig. so i should be able to land a 360 for around 700 maybe? i heard the 360's were pretty loud.

9. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    the only reason im leaning away from the combo is because i plan to have a rack setup eventually. the gbe and mpulse are both rack mountable. ;)

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That much is true. Good idea to think ahead.

-Mike

11. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    While your considering the possibility of an Eden Metro you might want to check out an Eden WT330 head with a 210 or 410 cabinet. I sold a Mesa M-Pulse 600 several moths ago and recently wanted to get another backup head so I thought I'd look for a used Walkabout or 360 head. I couldn't find a good used Mesa at the right price but I found a new Eden WT330 that had recently been discontinued at a great price ($540). Great sounding amp! It can produce a great warm tube like sound and has a great slap sound too. Extremely loud and clean for a 330 watt head too! I actually prefer it over the Mesa sound which can be a bit boomy.

12. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    ive never had a chance to actually play mesa gear. is mesa more "vintage" sounding? ive played eden which is very fat and warm but focused at the same time. very percussive.

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    +11. I wish to God I still had that amp right now. Possibly my worst loss ever, except for my Spector NS4CRFM, natural.

From what I've heard, the GBE and the MPulse are pretty similar tone-wise. I think you'd be happy with either one, but have been a loving owner of the M-Pulse, I can personally vouch that it's by far my fave amp I've ever owned (and I've had a lot!). I wish they made a model of this amp that had the power and the ohmage of the new Big Block. Like an M-Pulse 800 or something. That'd be great.

14. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    The hybrid Mesa's sound very warm but also quite boomy. It reminds me more of the old SVT sound but has more EQ capability. It's not hi-fi sounding though. I love the way the Mesa M-Pulse amp filled the sound on stage but it caused problems with the overall mix of the room (at least that's the feed back I coninutally got from our sound guys). If I turned it down to help the overall sound in the room, I had problems hearing it well on the stage. I think the Eden is much more focused and defined. Of course overall the Thunderfunk still get's the "first call" in tone! It's got it all. I've also only played out with the Eden once so I've got a lot to learn about it's capabilities.

15. there are 2 360's on ebay right now, ones got a broken compressor, and ones in good condition with a furman power conditioner and a rack. both are like $600 and havent been bid on

jump on it if you've made your decision

by the way what do the GBE600's run new/used, im actualy doing a similar comparison to this guy but wont be purchasing anything for a while

16. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    GBE600's run ~$500 used (what I've seen).

New varies a lot. The Bass Place has them for ~$8-900 (can't remember), but a seller on eBay frequently sells them for $650 + $35 shipping (not Buy It Now, but the most recent one left unbid on). MSRP is ~$1,200 I believe.

17. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I ran into my GBE 600 by chance. My 1 year old Ashdown Evo 500 went south on me at a gig, I really loved this amp. Returned it to store and the guy lends me the GBE while my Ashdown goes for repairs. That was in Oct 2004, have not heard back on my Ashdown since and I don't care to. I really now love the GBE 600, guess I'm fickle, but it just seems like a solid made unit, nice clean sound and easy to work with. I may be a little upside down on the money end, though I've seen the used Ashdowns going for about 8 bills, so I feel OK with my unintentional even swap. GBE 600 keeper for me, :ninja: ...for now, Sempre Gassy, booyah.