1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GBE 750 opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jwaugh, Mar 28, 2006.

1. jwaugh

jwaugh

Feb 26, 2006
    West Virginia
    for playing hard, loud, 'old school' rock. fender american jazz bass, svt 610hlf cab. going to go with either the Benz or an ampeg svt 6 pro (can get either for around a grand .. and where I live, don't have much opportunity to try out a lot of different amps :(.

more options with the GB .. but love the sound of the ampeg... nice to have 'tough' decisions like this to make!

2. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    I have a GBE600 which is the slightly older, less powerful version of the GBE750.

Have not had it too long so my experience is limited. It is replacing an Ampeg B2 so I can give an opinion your question about loving the Ampeg tone.

I am convinved that any sound I can get out of the Ampeg, I can get out of the Genz, and a whole lot more. Initially it was driving an Ampeg stack of an SVT210 and SVT15 and it did not seem to be too versatile. Then I put it on top of an older Genz Benz GB12T (a 112 cabinet) and things got really interesting. The GB12T is rated only at 150W so I was not driving it too hard, but the GBE600 came alive with this cabinet. It seemed like any tone I wanted was there if I took the time to dial it in. This was all done with an MIJ Jazz, playing good old rock type music.

I have no experience with the SVT 6 Pro but understand that the B2 is lower end when compared to it. But if you get the GBE750, I am sure you will be happy. My goal right now is to sell my Ampeg stack and get a GB 212 Neo to put my GBE600 on top of.