1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GBE750 POWERFLEX SWITCH?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ErnieD, Mar 6, 2008.

1. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Well I had a rough gig this past Sunday with my GBE750 & 2GB Neox212T cabs. Poor Roger (hasbeen) even while he was rushing to head out of town he took time to reply to 3 of my PM's asking him what could be up with my rig.

I told him of how I started with my 55-02 and on the louder tunes, no PA support, with my blues-rock band I had the cabs distorting/breakingup while diggin in on the E string, A & G notes but wierd not really on my B string, low C note, it thumped fine but I was kinda muting it. I backed off of diggin in and it helped abit but a few times on some fast blues shuffles I'd hear the cabs fuzzin out and the O/L and main clip lites were flashing with each note I hit. Now I know thats not so bad but Ive never clipped this amp before and I did not feel my settings were that extreme this day. I had the pre knobs around 11 o'clock, all the other knobs were about 1-2 o'clock, the LF was at 2 o'clock, when I used it on some tunes, and the master volume was at noon-1. I then tried my passive Jazz 5 and had to leave the active button in to keep from getting that same distortion. I kept hitting the footswitch to try different settings and it seemed the tube/fet mix alone worked best but I did have to lower the settings on each bass.

Now we were quite loud this day but I'd just used this amp w/ a single SWR410 8 ohm cab last gig and it worked out very nice, different room same bass. And yes, batt was good in the -02 and cables are all good.
    So anyway, I went back to read some GB search threads here and also looked back at the GB PDF manual, then I snapped :rollno: that I forgot to push the PowerFlex switch to 2ohms. I was running my 2 - 4ohm cabs in the 4-8 setting.

I'd like to ask if this could have caused the symptoms I was experiencing at the gig, if so then great, it was my dumba$$. If not then I may have other issues or just expecting too much from these 2 cabs. Thanks for any advice/info. (and thanks again Roger, the CS at GB is unreal.)

2. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Yes...I experienced the same symptoms once at a sound check, before I realized I hadn't set the PowerFlex switch to 2 ohms. luckily i figured out what was going on after only a few seconds. I powered down, flipped the PowerFlex switch over to 2 ohms, and the problem went away...

3. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I'm hoping it was all user error, thanks FishTx. I play this same room twice more this month, so I'll be very aware of this. Now, anyone, can I just leave the Flexswitch in the 2 ohm setting all the time even when I use my single 8 ohm cab? Now of course that Im aware of my mistake, I'll prolly always check the switch first but just in case Im in dumba** mode again and forget it. So next gig I hope this is my fix and nothing else. COOL :cool:

4. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    lol.. I mean really not funny but funny. If you leave the powerflex switch to 2 ohms you don't have to worry about it. You can run at 4ohms with the switch on 2 but you decrease your power a bit. I know doing this with the 1200 knocks it back to around 750 watts vs 1000 at 4 ohms. I am not sure where the power would go on the 750 I am thinking 500? Anyway, I hope you got it straight.