1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GBX -----heard of it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sedan_dad, Dec 7, 2006.

1. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    In the mid 70's I'd go jam at a friends house and he had this GBX bass amp.
    It was like the Acoustic 360's with the pre amp in the head going to a powered cabinet.
    It had 2 15's in it I beleve.
    I've never seen one again.Has anyone ever run across one?

2. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    Aw man, my friend's dad owns one. I played it for about 2 years when we'd jam. Loved it, no - LOVED it. I really want to buy it off him.
    It was blue right?

3. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Black tolex but ,yea, it had light blue graphics.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I was abot 14 years old waiting for a lesson when a sales rep pulled into the parking lot of the music store. he asked the owner to come out and see something. Naturally, I tagged along.

We went out side, he opened his trunk pulled out a ratty looking amp, lifted it over his head and dropped it on the parking lot. Then he kicked it a couple of times, rolled it over a few times and said, "Wanna go inside and see if it still works?"

It did and he worked for GBX. Those thing are tough! All mil spec components built to survive war.

I think they where Canadian with powered cabs...pre amp stuck to the cab with some kind of super velcro...

I had one of their preamps for years. A friend of mine still has it and it still works and sounds pretty good for an all transistor pre. Not bad for a 33 year old peice of gear.

5. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    You mean like this!
    I rented one in the early 70's
    it was built like a tank and weighed like one
    this is a 410 or 412 i'm not sure,they were loud...

cheers

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I used one of these for a while in a rehearsal space a band I was with was renting. I was told the amp had originally been owned by Gordon Lightfoot's bassist. It could have been as he did use one for a time. I blew the speakers in short order. Speakers in those days weren't built like they are today. The sound of the amp was brittle but pretty loud for about 100 watts.

They were a Canadian company and I don't think they were ever distributed in the US. Lots of Canadian guys bought them because of the relatively low price but they weren't all that much loved for their sound. Back then everyone wanted an Ampeg.

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I bought one new back in 1973. It was the 2x15 configuration. I have some photos of it that i'll post later on today.

They were made in Toronto by Arc Sound. The most popular version of GBX was the 410 bass cab. I think they were rated at 80 watts RMS each if I remember correctly.

TD

8. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Here's a photo of my GBX 2x15 and Precision back in 73. Both were new at the time.

I don't recall seeing very many 2x15 GBX Rigs. Almost all bass rigs of their's were multiple 410 cabs.

[​IMG]

TD

9. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Do you still have the P?
    yeah i the ones i remember were 410's
    never seen a 2x15 before,i think some
    of these were 140/w

cheers

10. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    yeah, those are them alright.
    the one my friend's dad has is a 212 i'm pretty sure.

11. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Thats it.
    That is what I remember.
    I had a great time with that amp.Thanks for posting that.

12. ejmy

ejmy

Nov 30, 2008
    Had a 4X10 in the 70's, loved it. The head being a preamp and the bottom having the power amp built in was a good idea. Don't know why I sold it, wish I hadn't, I'm pretty shure it would still work fine.

Ah, the good old days.

13. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Back in the 70's there was a malt liquor named GBX.
    Not bad stuff, a six pack of 16 ouncers would really light you up.

14. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    For those nights when the Boone's Farm just wasn't quite enough? I was a Mad Dog guy.

Circa 1976 my friend had a GBX 8x10. Tiny head on a fridge. The thing must've weighed 200 lbs. The grille had a Vox-like diamond pattern over the cloth.

15. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    For old time sake, GBX = Guy Beresford Experiment.

These were designed and built in Toronto. Today Guy is the head repair tech at Yorkville Sound here in Toronto and a great person to boot. He's been under the weather for the past few months, I hope he gets better soon.

GBX215-3BS_Cat_photo.

TD

16. Buster Crab

Buster Crab

Jul 20, 2012
    I still Have one,bought in 1970 or so

May sell it now as I have acquired a Line 6 Spider Jam
    (Huh.......lines on grill cloth a reflection from glass door beside it)

b601449a-7031-4c86-9ee8-cf600acbc698_zpsaffa4539.