1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GC: All Ocean Basses $399

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know Ocean basses are a GC store brand, and don't have a high profile, but they are pretty well made. The only thing I don't like are the sharp contours on their bodies. They have the Bartolini MK1 set up comes on the 55-01 or some Ibanezes. I think they come with 17mm spacing and were around $800 for a five. They are all $399 now plus GC is providing 10% over the 'net and through the mail. These are a very good deal, IMO.

2. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    Agreed. Ocean was the GC Laguna moniker, but now they've been renamed to Laguna, which is a Chinese supplier. I played a fretless 4-string and it felt good and sounded just right. If it had been 5 strings, I'd have bought it. At $400, if I can find a 5-string version I WILL buy it. The net (GC.com) has never heard of such a thing, so I'm not optimistic.

But I second the assessment that these are very good instruments, and steals at $400.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The 10% off coupons can be downloaded from GC's website. I am seriously considering an Ocean, they really make me think of a 55-01 with 17mm spacing and a neckthrough, instead of bolt-on design. I think it could be a nice vehicle for upgrading with American Barts and a better preamp.

4. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Weren't the Ocean's essentially reshaped Cort artisans? I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I just wanted to check. I tried them out and they were good instruments. Definitely worth more than the 399 they're going for now, just not my cup-o-tea.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That sounds right to me. They are definitely Corts.

6. Don't do it! that $399 that could go towards some super awesome bass that you've always wanted! Delayed gratification, as my dad calls it :).

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's a great point, Youngblood, however, cheaper basses are fun on their own merits. They are also great platforms for projects that I would never attempt with a more expensive bass.:)

8. I'm not finding this on GC's site. Link?

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Click on the 10% off coupon and look for the little blurb that says more info. It lists all the savings including Ocean basses, 67% off.

10. I don't see any Ocean basses listed anywhere. Just the Lagunas.

11. I'm seeing a "Red Carpet Clearance Weekend", with $50 off coupons, but no 10% deals :confused:

I can't even find "Ocean" basses with any search. Like EagleMoon, all I can find is Laguna.

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I saw that the 10% is off now. I got one in the mail though. Check a GC in person for Ocean basses.

13. I think a lot of their deals are "in store only" lately. That's too bad. I hate going in there.

14. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I always liked an Ocean fretless 4 I played at GC but I never bought it. It sounded, played, and felt great, but I felt that the body was far too soft and would get torn apart.

15. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    I just bought one today, the last day to, I tried to use the 10% coupon but a guy there said I couldn't use it since it was a clearance item. Did I just get ripped off?

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That whole coupon thing stinks. The website says they are clearance coupons, and when I went to my local GC, they said the coupons weren't for items on clearance.

17. NBingham

NBingham

Jan 2, 2008
    I have two of them. A fretless 4 that I bought used and was so impressed that I went back to get a fretted one in black for playing live and got it for $399. No one that has played my Ocean’s has had anything but prays for them. Like it or not I haven’t run up on a batter bass yet at twice the price. So far they just rock.:bassist: