1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GC botched my preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by StoutXXX, Sep 17, 2008.

1. I asked for a EMG BQS-System. They sent me the BQC- control(still have it). ON the guitar center sku sticker is listed as a control system. How awesome is that and confusing. Not only do the 18 yearolds getting paid jack in the warehouse not even know what a bass pre amp is, they cant look at the box and double check, And they sent it out a week late. Rant done.

-If I do get the BQS SYSTEM (instead of Control)finally is there a way to wire it Volume Volume instead of V/Blend? I like how my spector is V/V. Is my BQS-COntrol still useable?

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    You actually think they can get 18 year olds to work???

3. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Ahh, the ToneDump, I'm glad I coined that phrase ;)
    Yes, you can wire it up, vol+vol, don't attempt the System then (pan has a circuit board attached to it). However, if you use the control instead, you definitely can.Good news is, You don't even have to change out the vol pots, but might I suggest the BQC control instead? No additional holes, except re-drilling the 2 stacked pots (Mid +mid freq and b&t).

Also, check out my "tone dump" thread (in my sig), in case you decide doing the bqc would be less cosmetically damaging, just in case you ever take it out, you can still put the TP back in it, without too much trouble.

My advice, get the "control" instead, if you want vol+vol.

Bonus: You can do 9v or 18v

Image Courtesy of EMG:

Attached Files:

4. Hoped you would chime in. I physically have a BQC-Control. I thought I ordered the system. SO what your saying is jsut wire it up to my pre existing V/V pots which are already the rigth value and voila? I have everything I wanted? Mid sweep and all? Do I have to drill? I show the tone dump thread to EVERYONE by the way. IM alwasy like this is how a "how to"is supposed to be done.

5. should I just order another stacked pot and do it myself? no drilling?

6. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Thanks, In my eyes anyone could do this, provided there's patience and a little soldering skill.

Since you already have pots that are within EMG's standards, vol pots are fine.
    Yes, you can leave you existing volumes in, without any issues.
    Seeing that you have the BQS, you won't have any stacked pots, you'll need to drill add an additional hole though. With the BQC there's only 4 pots (2 stacked of course).

*edit*, Well there is one more option, you could get a stacked pot for the VOL+VOL.

Just remember, the stacked pots are slightly bigger around, than the ones in the Spector, still will require drilling to widen them a bit.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    My son is 18 and he's a lot more motivated to find work than any of his peers (that I know of) and many others in my family... So, they do exist.

/OT

8. I think a return for the BQC-control is in order. Thanks for the help guys

9. MarkAtGC

MarkAtGC

Jul 29, 2008
    StoutXXX--

I'm sorry to hear that there were problems with your order. We hate to hear that we've dropped the ball. Hopefully GC gets things right more often than not. Is there anything that I can do to help your sort this out? Have you decided if you're going to stick with BQC? Don't hesitate to hit me up if you have any concerns or if I can help in any way. I apologize for the mistake and we'll do whatever we can to make things right. Thanks!

Mark
    mark@guitarcenter.com
    gcwebcommunity@guitarcenter.com

10. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    It is probably easier to have a Vol/Vol set up instead of Vol/Blend with the BQS Control rather than the system you ordered.

11. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The only difference between the "system" and "control" are the pot values. They are the exact same preamp.

I'm using a BTC that was part of an active pickup system with passive pickups. I just changed the pots.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd say GC gets it right more often than not, since that just means more than half the time. Seriously, I've had mostly good experiences at GC over the last 15 years. I just avoid the noobs and stick with the guys who've been there a while. Mostly managers.

13. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    +1, true dat.

The pot values are different for EMG pups, which the "System was designed for, although EMG will tell you that the BQS and BQC systems are for "EMG only".

David, after I raise Some gig $, I might need to check you out on them pups.