1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GC bothering me through Craigslist

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Morning Beer, May 4, 2010.

1. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    I put a head I have for sale up on CL today. My first response was from my local GC letting me know that they accept used gear, and that if I wanted to trade that they could give up to 15% off of a new item. Left me their number and wanted me to set up a time to meet with them and give me "street price" for it.

I was kinda taken back by this. There is nothing special about the amp, there still in production and available through most on-line stores.

I gently let them know that what I thought of there trade in values and how their "street price" was a nice way of asking me to grab my ankles.

I'm not a big fan of GC but don't go out of my way to bash them, but there surely not doing anything to get my praises.I've sold tons of things through CL and this has never happened to me, has this happened to any of you?

2. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Never heard of GC answering CL ads. Are you sure it's legit? I have sold tons of gear and instruments on CL and never had that happen.

3. Wow,
    I have never had that happen to me before.
    It is kind of weird.

Was the price they offered really that bad?

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I've been contacted several times by GC here in Nashville about things I've posted on craigslist. They never wanted to talk price. Always wanted me to bring whatever to the store to try to 'work a deal'.

5. Old car salesmen's trick!

6. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    Pretty sure it was legit I know the manager who sent the email, his name was on it and the phone number matched up.

They didn't make me an offer they wanted me to come in so they could make me one.

7. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    exactly what they did to me.

8. Strange.

I agree GC's trade in and used gear offers blow. I remember taking in a squier VM p bass that was nearly brand new and they asked me how much I was looking to get for it and i told them 150 and he guy said "Yea there's no way. We might give you 100,but probably 75." Needless to say i chuckled and turned around and walked out.

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yes, I'm sure it's legit. It happened to me a few months ago, as I was in process of selling off a combo amp on my local Craig's List.

Same kind of spiel. When I called the guy on the phone to see what kind of deal he had in mind, he started blowing smoke, insulting my intelligence with a bunch of BS - as if I'd never heard a sales pitch before.

I cut him short, let him know he wasn't dealing with a noob, and told him that no, I would not be schlepping my amp down to his store - just so he could improve his negotiating position by using my desire to not have to schlep my amp all the way back home against me, in case I didn't like his offer.

At that point, the guy started talking straight. As I figured, his offer couldn't compare with what I'd be able to get by selling to an individual buyer - which I promptly did, just a few days later... ;)

MM

10. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    Same thing happened to me the other day, had just put my Boss ODB-3 up for trade, and GC later sent me an e-mail saying that they accepted used gear...must be low in that department or something

@ Morning Beer: I also live in the Grand Rapids area, do you usually do Firehouse Music on 28th Street?

11. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    I do most my business at rit I know most of the staff there, rainbow too. The guys at firehouse are good they just don't carry too much stuff I'm interested in.

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Next time post "Dealers need not reply"

13. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    That sucks. You should tell Craig.

14. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    I put my old Fender Rumble 100 up on Craigslist about a month ago and the local GC contacted me as well. They never said they would pay me the asking price but told me to contact their representative to work out a deal. I'm pretty sure they would have given me $50 for it, so I just ignored it.

15. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I'm no GC apologist, but I'm not sure how this is "bothering" anyone. It is no different from anyone else who answers the ad and gives you what amounts to a low ball offer. The only difference is that GC won't give you the offer over the phone. As long as they tell you that they are a store, you should know that their offer will be well below retail value. That's the way the world works. They are looking for business just like everyone else, and instead of sitting on their butts waiting for people to walk through the door they are trying to generate leads.

No, I don't work at GC. I did back in the early 80's back when it was a *real* cut-throat wheel and deal place. For those of you that only know the current GC, you have no idea what "shopping" is really like. Ahh, the days of collecting cash up front, going back to the manager's office for approval, sitting around for a bit, then going for the bump. I hated that job...

16. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Why in the world would you expect GC to offer you the same price you are trying sell it for on CL? They won't be able to sell it for much more than that, and the only way for them to make money is to buy it for less - a lot less, if they can. GC isn't necessarily being evil, they're just trying to make money. They do that by buying stuff for cheaper than they can sell it. That process is what most people refer to as "doing business".

17. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    I never said I expected them to pay my asking price, and I never said they were evil. I was just surprised they bothered me at all. If i wanted to get screwed over in the first place I would have driven down there instead of posting an ad. I just think its pathetic that GC has sunken themselves to point of all the low balling idiots that troll CL.

Did you even read the opening post? Most of what your saying has nothing to do with what I wrote.

18. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    For those who annoy me, I take their email address and sign it up for things like "adult novelty catalogs" and "plus sized mens lingerie" catalogs and newsletters.

It doesn't get them off my case, usually, but it makes ME feel better.

And GC is just trying to drum up business. When I worked there, they used the excuse "Well, you're here, and we will buy it. Yeah, you could get more on the street, but then you have to do work, so why not just sell it to us now?"

In their defense, though, you should know... If your item is worth $250, they are going to mark it at $250. In order to be profitable, they will buy it for a lot less. Otherwise, they'd be working for no profit and thus, would go out of business.

Wouldn't that be terrible...?

19. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    It wouldn't annoy me. Just look at it as another option. If not interested, delete and move on. That being said, you will never get as much selling wholesale as you will selling it resale.

20. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    When I worked at Guitar Trader here in SD *many* years ago, we'd call ads in the local rag that would have been the equivalent of the CL (The Reader) and do the same thing. We'd give them some BS about what a great value they'd get... and if they didn't bite, we'd pitch them on selling their stuff on consignment.

GT made *much* bigger margins on used gear than anything else - just like car dealers. Used for them is pure profit.

The lesson here is NEVER sell or trade your gear to a store - ALWAYS sell privately. ALWAYS.