1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GC carrying Ricks again?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Freez, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Freez

Freez

Nov 8, 2008
    Detroitish
    Hey, I was just in GC and picked up one of their little sale books with Dhani Harrison on the cover, and they've got a bunch of Ricks advertised in the catalog! Has anyone heard anything about this?

2. Kingbreaker

Kingbreaker

Feb 12, 2013
    Yeah. The super-extra-special GC's are carrying them again. "Platinum level" GC's I think, is the term. Confirmed by John Hall himself.

Unfortunately my local GC isn't one of them.

3. Neither is mine.

4. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    Bought time... I mean they let Musician's Friend, of all places, deal Rickenbackers, so why not GC? I'd like to see them make a deal with Sweetwater. You'd at least get an opportunity to view the specific bass, before you buy it.

5. Where would one find one of these "super secret" stores?? :D

Almost sounds like "Animal House" - Double Secret Probation

6. iamjustin

iamjustin

May 9, 2010
    Rhode Island
    yeah, awesome to see, bummed it isn't my local store.
    The stores are what they would consider A level stores (Manhattan, Boston, Atlanta, DC)
    I only know about east coast stores, but i'm sure theres a bunch in cali

7. GC and Rickenbacker were in dispute over returns. GC has their 30 day money back guarantee (which they stand by) while Rickenbacker is no returns. Rickenbackers are excluded from GC's 30 day money back return policy.

The best place to buy Ricks is, well, here on TB classified :bassist:

8. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    It's tremendously hard not to utterly and thoroughly hate RIC as a company.

It kept me off their instruments for many decades and may kill my current plans to buy a 4003 yet. :scowl:

10. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

But wait, Rickenbacker doesn't sell to individual buyers, they get orders from dealers, who then sell to individual buyers. Why would it matter what GC's return policy was? If they sell a bass and then someone returns it, isn't that just on them?

11. I heard that RIC cut off GC because GC was selling the basses and making the customers pay extra for the hard cases, which violated the agreement they had with RIC...in which case it would be hard not to hate GC and like RIC instead.

If it were true. Which it might be.

12. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011

13. DasBassDude

DasBassDude

Apr 15, 2011
    USA
    Man you oughta read up on that whole deal. GC was selling Ricks without warranty cards, charging separately for cases, etc. I hope they have ironed that whole thing out because it was getting ridiculous about ten years ago. I had one GC employee tell me that they sent the cases to one warehouse and the Ricks to a different one... :rollno:

That's probably why they are only offered in the Platinum stores now, as a trial period or something.

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I don't believe it for a second.

The business with the cases was (no longer is) a policy that has been misunderstood and lied about more than any other GC practice, which is really saying something. It was never a ripoff and it was never about selling you a case you already paid for. Anyway, they dropped it a long time ago, so obviously that's not the source of RIC's absence.

The primary reason RIC didn't sell through GC was probably the same as Mesa's, to protect "exclusive" dealerships, a practice I consider total bunk and anti-consumer. A few GCs sold Mesa if there were no other "protected" Mesa sellers in the area, but if there were it was no dice for the local GC selling them.

The distribution arrangements GC stores establish with manufacturers are often incredibly strange and complex, such as the arm-wrestling GC did with Gibson, Inc. for a long time over ten years back when they weren't selling Gibson/Epiphone product. :rollno:

I'm sure their arrangement with RIC is even odder, considering how uniquely screwy RIC's ideas about how to run a business generally are to begin with. :meh:

15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    "Call for price!"

On a $1,500 instrument? You guys think too highly of yourselves... :bag:

16. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    The only issue is they try to do that with ALL their basses. I had one GC try to tell me you had to pay extra to get the case for any EBMM bass. Um, no!

17. The salesman at my local GC in Columbus, OH is working on getting me a 4003 - competitively priced against Wildwood and Pick of the Ricks.

18. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    I'd think a big problem would be Ric's ability to supply stock to all those GC's. They keep production pretty tight. It was about a 24 month lead time from them to dealers for a while and they stopped signing up dealers entirely. Now it's 9-12 months so perhaps they have the capacity to sell to a few GC's.

19. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

Jun 3, 2011
    If you hate a company and then go out of your way to boycott every aspect of said company, then I applaud your standards. I really do. I did the same with Exxon and still do with the Valdese Alaska oil spill.

However, gas stations and guitars are completely different in the sense that gas is gas but all instruments are not created equally. If you like the way a Rickenbacker sounds and plays then to boycott a purchase because you don't like the way a company does business, robs you of a potent tool in your arsenal.

Hey, I'm not huge fan of RIC the company but they make fine instruments. If you want a Rickenbacker but don't want to see any of your hard earned doe go to RIC, buy a nice used one! You can't do that with fuel!!

My "Zwei Pfenning".

Sepp

20. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    GC was stripped of Ric dealership over the return policy. The case issue is more of an inventory control thing. The basses and guitars are marked at the selling price WITH case, but on the sales screen, it'll show seperate prices for bass and case. This is to ensure that each Ric sold goes with the case that belongs with it. (since the Rics are on the wall, and the cases are in the back of the store seperately). We have a Platinum GC in N Dallas, one of 6 stores in the area, and they've got several new 4003's in all std colors. They will also price match, so I don't think the problem was on GC from the start.