Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GC charges too much

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dan Molina, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I find that whenever I go to guitar center and look at what they're selling, I see everything they have but at music123 and musiciansfriend for almost 100 bucks less, especialy on amps. I listen to they're radio adds saying how everything is up to or atleast 50% off I go into the store and everything is the same from when I last visited. I guess there is not justice for poor musicians like myself.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The justice comes when you walk back out and buy it somewhere else.

brad cook

3. Speaking as a GC employee, we do garuntee the lowest price. If you find it on MF or 123music for less then print it out and bring it in. As far as the "half off" sales, I agree that they are kinda bogus. When they say 50% off they mean 50% off of retail not off of sticker price.

Just wanted to clear that up.

4. pApAShAfT

pApAShAfT

Feb 10, 2003
    Cali
    ya the guitar center ads are just saying that everything in the store that they decide to put on sale will be marked down by 50% or more, and what they decide to put on sale may only be the drum stuff or something. in my experience, whenever they have those sales nothing i want is marked down.

hope that helps.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    At one of those GC clearance sells I got a set of Duncan Antiquities Jazz pups for 30 bucks or less...can't remember how much exactly. Also got some Duncan Lightnin' Rods for about the same. Sold both on Ebay to happy customers for twice that.

brad cook

6. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Thats why its on sale; you or no-one else wants it! :p

7. Misleading advertising!?! Well I must say "I'm Shocked!"

8. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    He's right, you can do that. I got a free hardshell case that way.

9. hrmm...

ok,there is an amp on MF.com for $300(LA 15- SWR)

now,if I printed out the page for it...

and went to my local G.C (selling it for 20 dollars more) would I get it for free?

would I get it for cheap/er?

thanks!

-Jon:oops:

10. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I bought a snare drum from them recently. The price on the drum was more than the advertised price (in the booklet with Cheap Trick on the front) so they knocked it down no arguments.

11. You would get it for $300. And since shipping is free on MF.com right now you might even be able to get it for $300 out the door if the guy is feeling nice.

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The obvious question is if you think GC charges too much, why go in there?

When I had no money for gear I thought ALL stores charged too much :D and bought used stuff listed in the want ads.

13. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    yeah they really ripped me off on my 'ray i mean a new one for 700 i must have been crazy!

14. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Musiciansfriend and GC are the same company. Typically, I find on most things, their prices are exactly the same.

As for Music123, they are cheap. I bought my Engelhardt from there for $100 cheaper than anywhere else. If it was something I really wanted quick and wasn't saving a great deal, I would probably use somewhere else, as they can be pretty slow.

In fact, my DB was drop shipped.

Chas

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dude. You aren't supposed to pay what they have marked on it. Besides, if you see it for less in MF, just show them the catalog and they'll match it ... after all, MF is GC.

For example, I just bought a Mackie SWA1501 sub-woofer from GC. List:$1199 Marked:$979 Paid:$879.
    Now, at 73 percent of list, this isn't what you'd call a grand deal, but I know that they have less room to move on Mackie equipment. My usual range at GC is between 60% and 65% of list. This is well below the 70 to 75% of list that they show on the tag. Also, keep your eyes peeled for blowouts. There are some great deals there from time to time. And always deal with a manager, not the pinheads.

If you ever buy anything from Music 123, you are an idiot. But you'd figure that out anyway by the time you're done dealing with them ... er, by the time they've had their way with you.