1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GC craziness

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tpaul, Mar 12, 2016.

1. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    So I stop into the GC to see what's hanging. There's a used bass that catches my eye, a MIM Fender Zone P/J active bass. It plays well and seems to sound ok given the adverse conditions (guy playing guitar nearby, general noise, unknown amp, probably needs new strings and a setup,etc). Best of all it's light and I like the neck. The bad part is, it's been refinished by an amateur with what appears to be black primer paint. There are paint drips on the edges, and brush marks on the back, and it appears they either painted over some tape, or maybe some sort of filler on the back. The original red finish is showing through in spots, but it's impossible to tell what all is going on under the slopped-on primer paint. In short, it's all kinds of ugly. And it's tagged $299.

So I take it to the counter, thinking they'll be happy to come down at least $100 on the price. Nope. The guy says they aren't allowed to go any lower until corporate headquarters tells them to. He agrees with me that nobody is going to pay $300 for the thing, but he can't budge on the price.

I ask how long it's been hanging there at that price. They tell me, since December.

So I walked out with my money in my pocket.

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    What's crazy about that?

3. That bass will become part of the furniture in that store, just like the T-40 in the local pawn shop near me. I can't remember what the guy wants for it, but it's too much.

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Damn, I would've at least tried out the Danelectro if I was shopping for $199 basses!

5. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Its reasonable if you've come accept Guitar Center's self detructive death spiral as buisiness as usual.

They've got a heinously overpriced piece of used gear that's going to be very tough to sell and someone willing to hand them cash for what they'll eventually sell it for. One day. So they tell him to go away, fully acknowledging the stupidity of the situation.

And cash strapped Guitar Center gets to keep their cash tied up in this instrument for the foreseeable future.

Excellent buisiness model there, guys!

6. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    Except op was asking for a 33% discount...

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I think the craziest thing is that they bought it in the first place.

ptg, ac11367, SLO Surfer and 12 others like this.
  8. DOH!
    I misread the OP.

I've had them willing to knock off $100 for a ding in a new Epiphone Thunderbird, which would have been 33%.
    I still didn't buy it, because I just never warmed to T-Birds.

carsbybigd and scourgeofgod like this.
  9. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    If they're selling it for $299 they probably bought it from the last owner for $50, knowing GC.

10. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Ya, the local GC generally won't buy anything that's been totally dorked up the the owner. Maybe is was part of a trade in they really wanted to make work.

scourgeofgod likes this.
  11. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    Not like you need an Epibird anyway with your stable.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  12. That was about 15 months ago, when I was on a quest.

13. GC has a codified, fairly rigid used gear system. Don't expect to dicker and get a discount like you would with a Craig's List seller.

SirMjac28 and DeliriumTremens like this.
  14. They offer my 65% of their selling price, so I know their buying price before I even go there.
    It only becomes unclear if it's an item they're not already selling.

Farrin D likes this.
  15. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Yes, and that's to be expected.
    I've gotten nothing but great deals from GC.
    Fender Deluxe PJ...$150 off ticket price.
    Sterling Ray 34...$150 off ticket price.
    Markbass CMD-121P... $300 off ticket price.
    All brand new.
    Several good used deals, too.
    And my Squier CV Jazz was within a hair of being in tune straight out of the shipping box.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  16. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Well, they probably low-balled the seller, kind of like a pawn-shop, so I don't think it was as crazy as you think.

17. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    I don't know why people have a love/hate relationship with GC. It's a chain retail music store. My expectations are kind of lowered. I never walk out angry or upset. IF you go in with high expectations, then maybe you'll walk out disgruntled.

18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I know L&M is the same way up here. They'd laugh you out of the store if you tried to trade in a poorly done home finish.

19. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    I think they took it in on a trade deal.

I'm OK with it, they can hang on to it if they want, but it just seems crazy to turn away a buyer knowing full well that you will eventually lower the price to what the buyer is offering.

This is what happens when you have a big, centralized corporation handling what should be a locally negotiated deal. The guys in the shop knew it was never going to sell at that price but they can't do anything about it. They said they get a periodic computer update from corporate headquarters notifying them of price changes, otherwise they can't go below the set price.

20. I bought the bass in my picture, a beautiful G&L JB-2 with upgraded finish/binding, from GC for $999. I tried to haggle down, but of course they wouldn't budget. What they did do is give a big discount on a Road Runner case and throw in a free set-up since I was also changing the strings to flats. It made it a fair deal and I don't think I was ripped off.