1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GC Deals Used around the country

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by rojo412, Jan 23, 2012.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    GC frequently has some decent deals. I spotted these while poking around this morning...

Musicman Stingray in Kirkland, WA, $699

Fender P Lyte in Tulsa, OK, $269

Musicman SUB Stingray in Beaumont, TX, $379

Musicman Sterling in Millbury, MA, $750

Modulus Flea in Montgomery, AL, $999

2. Richard G

Richard G

Jun 16, 2009
    question: from what i understand is it true that u can call that certain guitar center that has the item and purchase it through them and have it shipped for free to your nearest guitar center?

3. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I wish, but I don't think they will do that on used gear. What you can do, is if you don't like it for any reason, return it to your local store for the refund (minus the shipping charge.)

4. searchfunction

searchfunction Guest

Nov 26, 2010
    Yeah. I just did it. Bought a Warwick from the Knoxville, TN store and they shipped free to the Charlotte, NC store. I got to check the bass out and could have gotten a refund if I didn't like it.

5. Richard G

Richard G

Jun 16, 2009
    hey thanks searchfunction!.... what was the process..... did u have to talk to the manager directly on the phone to arrange it?..thanks

6. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Nope, just any sales guy. They can also ship to your house pretty cheap too. When it arrives, ou have 30 days to return it. And if you are TX, you need to look into music/film equipment tax exclusions.

7. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Really?!? That's pretty sweet!

I thought that policy changed a while ago.

8. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    I asked my sales guy at a New York store if he could ship the used bass I purchased to my local store for no charge. He told me no... it would cost the same as shipping it to my home in California... $15 which I gladly paid.

Other Guitar Centers have charged me $25 or even $40 for shipping. I get the feeling that they just make up a price on the spot: (

I have a feeling that many employees don't actually know the policy.

Maybe a Guitar Center employee will chime in.

9. I was also told that it would cost to ship it to the local store. I just get it shipped to my house because it's always way cheaper than I would expect. The return period takes alot of the sketchiness about buying a used bass off of the internet away. I use them alot.

10. Richard G

Richard G

Jun 16, 2009
    i have emailed a few managers on a couple items that i have had interest but they are not efficient when it comes to email, so i think calling them directly works better also on their website it explains the process to an extent.

11. searchfunction

searchfunction Guest

Nov 26, 2010
    Nope. I did it all online from this site:

Guitar Center

never talked to anyone until I picked up the bass.

12. Richard G

Richard G

Jun 16, 2009
    you saw your item.... how did the purchase process go.... did u have to email the manager?..

13. searchfunction

searchfunction Guest

Nov 26, 2010

I was looking for a Warwick Corvette standard for $500 or less. I was checking the site I gave you every day and one day they dropped the price to $499 and I jumped on it. Put in all my info and CC number online. I got a tracking number on the ship-to-store and when it got to Charlotte, they e-mailed me that it was ready to be picked up. The end.

14. Richard G

Richard G

Jun 16, 2009
    i actually go on the used site a lot but i would mostly stick to the local guitar centers in my area there are a bunch around me.... recently i have been going global on it ive seen a few synths really reasonable that i might try and do....thats where the deals are people sell or trade in their items dirt cheap to guitar center..

15. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I do that as well. I probably check their inventory at least once a week. I've gotten some really good deals on hard to find stuff.

16. BassManMike73

BassManMike73

Apr 20, 2011
    Portage, MI
    I've had 3 things that I bought used all shipped from other stores. The first two came to my local store for me to pickup, and he last one was shipped to my house. Someone said something about them not knowing the real policy, and I think they do, but some will try and get a little extra. The last guy who had it sent to my house for free was the guy I go to all the time, so that friendship may have been part of why he did it. But the manager says that ship to store is always free. The other request I've asked was to have them bring something in for me to try first. They won't do that, haha

17. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I just bought a mid 80s Kramer 700ST for pretty cheap last night and I'm having them ship it to my local GC. Shipping was like $12-something.

18. bthrem

bthrem

Dec 4, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    I buy stuff all the time. Shipping is crazy cheap and if I don't like it I simply return it to my local GC.

Here's one tip you may not know: Once you find an item you like in the used the section, make a note of the item number or description. Now navigate back out to the GC home page. In the search box at the top of the page enter the item number or description and search for it. If it comes up, you can just add it to your cart, see your shipping cost and check out as normal - no need to call the store! And if they really mess up sometime, even a coupon may work :)

19. sailri

sailri

Nov 16, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Here's the deal,

When you buy from the "regular" used.guitarcenter.com basses ads, those will be charged shipping, whether it is to your house, or to the local store.

You can call ahead and try to negotiate/bargain down the cost. You can go to your local store and do the same thing. In my experience the local store cut me a deal on the shipping by reducing the price of the items, but charging the "normal" shipping rate, for two used basses from two different places / stores.

The downside of this method of charging you less is when you try to get a refund - they might refund you less should you be unhappy with the item.

Items purchased from the "Vintage" and "Platinum" sections of their website - which are still used but in a different section - frequently if not all the time include shipping for free.

( Bass Guitars, Electric Bass, Acoustic Bass, Bass Amps and Effects )

There is a benefit and that is they have a response guarantee.

"The Guitar Center Fast Shipment Guarantee
    After Guitar Center verifies your order*, if your items are in stock, and you have requested expedited 1-, 2-, or 3-day air service, any order placed by noon (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday will ship on the same day. If your order is to be shipped via expedited air service but is placed after noon (Eastern Time) or if your order is to be shipped via Standard ground service, we will ship it no later than the following business day.

*Delivered within 7 business days after clearing verification, guaranteed!
    *20% OFF your next order placed within 90 days if we fall short on our fast shipment guarantee. "

In my case they didn't ship it next business day so I could have called in and gotten 20% off my next used one.

AND MORE:
    There is a trading expo this Thursday through Sunday for used gear you might have
    Used Gear Expo January 2012

20. Richard G

Richard G

Jun 16, 2009
    thanks for the info Bthrem and Sailri! (it can get a little confusing for a 1st time "used" buyer)