1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GC Drops Fulltone Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Killing Floor, Jun 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Apparently not. You might do a little research. He has a history of making insensitive and offensive comments.

All messages are context dependent if they’re going to be understood above the most superficial level. His comment neatly mistepresents (i.e. consciously or subconsciously lies) about the reality on the ground, distorts what actually occurred, ignores the background event and the long history of events that led up to the incidents, and by inference seeks to reassign blame when it’s already been established by the arrests made who was behind the bulk of the looting and violent acts.

You can make anything (e.g. freedom, faith, patriotism, “necessary sacrifice,” responsibility, etc.) sound good at face value. Just pick an innocuous word or phrase and make it mean something completely different from its common understanding.

Nothing wrong with keeping and open mind and initially taking something at face value. But after you do, do a little research and fact checking. And then do some thinking of your own. :)

2. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    To dealers, too.

My friend is a career music store worker and owner, and a longtime FT dealer. Some months ago he told me that Fuller was basically begging him to order pedals; this after years of Fuller playing hardball with him, squeezing him with quotas and pricing, then competing with dealers on direct sales. Seeing that FT pedals are no longer popular, and remembering Fuller's poor treatment of him before, my friend did not place an order.

That stuff really does come back around.

3. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Karma is a $%#*&. Treat people like crap for years......then beg to get some favours......pathetic.

Tables have turned buddy.....see ya......nowhere\never ever.......I hope Mr Fuller.

4. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    This is the part I struggle with - not just on this issue or instance, either. There's no real metric for when someone is genuinely trying to understand, change, act in good faith, etc. His apologies and subsequent follow-ups seem revelatory without context, but its hard to accept when you know how he's acted & treated others for years. Add to that the fact that his business has apparently been at less than peak performance, even prior to his comments of late, and it feels like he's saying whatever he can to 'right the ship'.

On the other hand, I'm all for giving people a chance to be better. Otherwise, what's the point and how does anyone ever change? It's just a struggle trying to decide how many times are too many (or how far is too far) before you write someone off as self-serving or a lost cause. In this case, I have a pretty easy time saying Fuller can sleep in the bed he's made for decades. More generally, it's probably not so easy to determine...

gh0st42, dmt and Snaxster like this.
  5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    He could have done it more elegantly , but his main point is a critique of the looting, he says is going on and the weak response to it( as percieved by him) , by the authorities. Yes?

never-enough likes this.
  6. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas

I'm not aware of his history either, but if you read the screen grab on the linked page, he seems to clearly delineate between the protesters and the looters. The post is about the local governments unwillingness or inability to do anything about the looting. Are you saying the looting and burning is ok because of history?

never-enough and punchdrunk like this.
  7. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    You guys obviously never had to deal with Ken Smith.....

Who cares. his stuff sounds good.
    wont keep me from using it.
    In fact, maybe I can score some on the cheap now that idiots are all pissy about what he says.

IronLung1986 and Super Bass like this.
  8. I couldn’t disagree more. There is no justification in destroying others property. You seem to suggest that it’s justified, but perhaps your opinion would evolve if your property or business was in the line of fire. It’s simple.

never-enough and iammr2 like this.
  9. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Clearly some people care. At least enough to impact his business to the point that he feels the need to not only address his comments, but also to apologize for them. My thinking is that I don't want to support people who act blatantly sh*tty to other humans. Is that something I can determine or afford to do with ever aspect of my purchasing power? Of course not. Can I afford to do that with the things that are luxuries or where I have multiple options on where to buy items? Yes - and I will as often as I can.

Likewise, I like small builders and a lot of the companies who continue to develop & collaborate on bass equipment. Even before these comments, his actions against other companies (who were not acting maliciously toward his business) were detrimental to them succeeding. So I've felt for years that giving him money for his products was just increasing the funds available for him to take unwarranted legal action toward good companies.

10. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    He demeaned women and the way one uses the lavatory as being somehow important to one’s integrity. Poor snowflake. So soft.

The use of the P word as an insult is always amusing considering that what it most likely refers to is something that can deliver a human unto the world. Sure, that sounds weak to me. (Sarcasm) What did that ever do?

superheavyfunk, kesslari and bmusic like this.
  11. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Jersey
    I don't think you clicked on the link :)

(I suggest you do, it's quite useful for occasions like this!)

EDIT: Oh boy, I wonder if a lot of folks are reacting to what I posted without clicking on the link...

bmusic likes this.
  12. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Dont open the KS box.
    It will not end well.
    Great builder....awful dude. His smashing of fellow luthiers was sad and pathetic.

Guess why he got banned from TB??

13. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    Different strokes. Ken Smith was so rude (just what I witnessed, not with me directly) at a NAMM show in 1985 that I've never wanted anything associated with him as a result. On the flip side, I feel good about luthier made basses where I've had positive interactions with the builders. I can easily see how that wouldn't be a priority for many but, given the choice, for me it is a factor.

kesslari and Grahams Groove like this.
  14. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I didn't see anyone say "Looting is cool, totally OK". And the looting is a very small percentage of what's going on. It's not right. But it does not detract that much from the sense of outrage over the murder of people of color by law enforcement.
    One can say "Racial injustice and violence are wrong" without it meaning "Looting is cool." That's what most people I hear are saying.
    I did see Mr. Fuller personally insulting people who disagreed with him (@Jeff Hughes put that really well) making this "all about the looting".

15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

His assertion that that is the case isn’t born out by the events of recent weeks. The government on many levels in the person of its police agencies - both identifiable and unidentifiable - has demonstrated more than a willingness to “do something” about it. Often to the point of provocation and unjustified (and in some cases illegal) actions that instigated public violence in response to their behavior.

Nice attempt at a straw man. Please don’t put words in my mouth.

History doesn’t provide justification. But it can provide sufficient insight to predict an outcome based on previous responses to similar events and provocations. Simply put: When somebody gets hit, eventually they’ll tend to hit back. And when government, through its own actions, loses its moral authority, people tend to take justice into their own hands. Look no further than the American Revolution for a blueprint of how that works.

FilterFunk, Ferniff, kranahan and 3 others like this.
  16. Wow can't believe this one is still open. Not surprised though.

17. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Why not just embed the comic instead of trying to be cute about it? This isn't Reddit... Most ppl aren't gonna click away to an unknown link when they're in the middle of a conversation like this.

Ferniff, J_Bass and dmt like this.
  18. Again, completely disagree with the ongoing violence, looting, burning, etc. Fuller may be an abrasive/confrontational guy, but the statement he made regarding the looters (which was the statement posted by the GC article I read and was responding to) wasn’t incorrect. Folks can read into it all they want, but ones level of outrage doesn’t amount to ones level of justification. I just hope everyone remains safe, and that there will be a return to critical thinking and reasoning before chaos destroys more people’s lives. That applies to everyone.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    never-enough likes this.
  19. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Not to derail the subject but it appears Fender has cut ties with master builder John Cruz over similar issues.

vid1900 likes this.
  20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Feel free to disagree. That’s what discussions are for.

Where are you getting that? I’m not saying let alone suggesting anything about looting being justifiable in this circumstance. I think it was completely counterproductive and morally wrong. Especially since it provided a soon pounced upon talking point now being used to distract and deflect from the main issue. And my opinion that looting is a bad thing wouldn’t change whether I was personally looted or not. Because it’s ridiculous to vent your anger about a government act on private property.

FWIW, when dealing with people, nothing is ever simple unless you’re a simpleton. People are complex creatures at the group level and frequently incomprehensible as individuals. Wishing they weren’t doesn’t change that. That’s about as “simple” as it’ll ever get.

Dynacord likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.