1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GC Fender A/B Report

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paulorr, Jun 12, 2007.

1. paulorr

paulorr

Apr 5, 2007
    I went the GC Buffalio this past past Monday. They had a decent Fender selection so I A/B'd a few.

I ran them thru a Line6 bass combo amp which I found quite surprising. Loud with lots of power. Try them .. but, comb's only. I did not get a chance to look at the connections in the back, however.

Anyways, no question, the Fender American Deluxe Precision was the best of the lot. Pure clean sound. More of a hybrid between the jazz bass abd p-bass. Good build quality. The other American's and Mexicans were just ok in comparison. i did not think the American versions were all that better than the Mexican counter parts.

I did find the new Squire vintage fretless bass surprisingly good sounding, if you like fretless. Well forth the $279 price tag. Not too heavy either.

On a side note, GC had an Ernie Ball stingray which I thought was very nice build quality. It was cherry in color, and the neck matched the cherry body. It must be nitro ... super finish on it. And I was surprised the range of sound I could get with that single humbucker it had.

But, I have been a Fender guy for years and years so I tend to stick with Fenders. Just my preferences.

Went to see Deftones and I see their bassist uses the Amer Dlx Precision as well. Looks like he had one where he put a '51 neck on it .. maple. Thunderous sound from them all.

If you guys should see the Am Delx, try one. The necks and tone on these are super.

Paul

2. yeah, i love mine
    if you ever get a chance put it through a gallien krueger amp it sounds AMAZING
    with it i can get tones like Jaco's (although not fretless), Flea's, Tim Commerford's, geddy lee, larry graham....pretty much everything
    it's an amazing bass and i recommend it to anyone who can afford it

3. paulorr

paulorr

Apr 5, 2007
    I picked up a 2000 used one for $575 delivered ... needs a new pickguard, and has some dings but other than that, I am very happy with it.

I tried an Amer Deluxe jazz bass a few weeks ago and was equally amazed with the tone and build quality,

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I love GC if only at times for the sheer volume of gear to look at.

5. but you gotta love the warmth of the neck pickup over the jazz's front pickup
    i was thinking about the jazz, but it just didn't sound right

6. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    The guitar center i was in today was blowing HW1's out the door at $490 each. New.

Great price for a great bass. Are they discontinued?

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021