1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GC Gem: The Franken-coil bass Buyer Beware

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SalRust, Feb 11, 2017.

1. SalRust

SalRust

Nov 16, 2016
    Inland Empire
    I've been looking for a new four string bass and I didn't want anything like Warwick, Spector, ESP; I just wanted a p bass. So I did some looking around and found this sweet deal on a Squier CV 50s P bass on GC. The picture on their website seemed normal, except for the pickup. It looked like some kind of toaster pickup, so I thought "hot damn, an aftermarket pickup; what a steal". So I buy it, and wait a week for it to ship to the GC closest to me. I go to pick it up and it's in beautiful condition. Everything looks Like New. Then I got to the pickup... There were wires and little bits of copper wire coming out of the thing. What I originally thought was a metallic cover was a really cheap plastic cover. But at the price I bought it for, I just thought "meh, I'll get a new pickup and that'll be the end of it". Wrong. Very wrong. I showed the pickup to the tech there and he was upset that a GC location would be so careless and not test the pickup.
    So, with all of that in mind, I went home and found a cool pickup from Prima. I tried to tease the truss rod to see if it was working, but it wouldn't budge. I thought "I'll give it a few days NBD". Fast forward three days later, I try to adjust the action. Nothing. Not even a crack or whine, so now I'm under the suspicion that the GC I bought it from didn't even check the truss rod NOR the pickup. I drive to the GC near me and I let them know that I need a tech to look at this broken beauty. Different tech was there today. He looked at the nut and said it was stripped and that the neck was warped. There was no saving this bass unless I spent more money than what I spent on it in repairs. I got my refund and I sadly walked out with a part of my soul missing.
    Next day, I'm vehemently looking for one and what do I see? That same bass on GC Used for the same price, where I returned it, in the same "Good" condition as it was advertised for. I'm no luthier nor a GC tech, but would GC repair the neck, nut, and truss rod in one day for a used guitar? I've always liked GC, but after this, I'm appalled. If you see this bass on GC, just be aware that it's unplayable and requires a lot of work to repair. frankenbass.PNG 20170210_075324.jpg 20170207_150109.jpg

2. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Hey that appears to be a 3d-printed pickup cover! I hadn't thought about adding pup covers to my print biz... then again, sounds like it wouldn't go over very well, lol.

It's despicable that GC would sell and resell a broken instrument though.

3. SalRust

SalRust

Nov 16, 2016
    Inland Empire
    Guess it's not a cheap plastic cover then ;)

4. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    LOL, oh, yes it still counts as that! I mean, 3d prints can be finished to look rather nice. That one, meh, not as bad as it could have been?