Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GC Hollywood

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Mar 27, 2001.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I had a chance to drop in at GC in Hollywood today. It's about six blocks from one of our job sites, so I snuck over there at lunch time.

Now this is what a GC should be. It has your Eden, your Lakland, your Pedulla, etc. Four Laklands, three deluxe and one regular. Eden D-215XLT on hand, too, plus all the usual cabs and amps. Also, it has mass quantities of used and vintage gear. Not to mention a $25,000 Fender Harley Strat w/metal body. Dang, there were at least two dozen lap steels on the wall, buku Martins for $2,000 to $8,500, tons of vintage amps. More mandolins than at which you could shake a stick, too. I didn't even have time to go into the pro audio room and the drum room. Maybe next time.

Now, directly across Sunset Boulevard are Carvin and Mesa Boogie Stores, with a few other guitar stores right there, as well.

The onliest thang that bothered me is they didn't have the one thing I would've bought. An EBS MultiComp. Said they could special order it for me ... yeah, you and 50,000 other people. Guess I'll just have to get it through Bass NW. That's all.

2. Jebis

Jebis Guest

Nov 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    Yeah, it's pretty damn nice, definitely a milestone compared to my local GC in the South Bay area (which I haven't been to since Mars opened up right down the street :)). I have finally saved up enough for an RC210 combo, so I should be paying a visit to the Carvin Factory Store sometime in the near future.

Where does your band usually play gigs in SoCal?

3. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Munji, on your next lunch break to the west of GC is Gardner street. Head north 1/4 block and go into Voltage Guitars. They have some very cool old Fenders in there and usually a couple of vintage RICS. They are pricey but there is some cool stuff in there.

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, I only mentioned the vintage stuff for those of you who are interested. I can't stand the stuff. Modern guitars and amps are far superior to vintage ones in the same price range.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Munji, you REALLY want to see some Lak's on the wall? Come visit me at work if you're ever in Orlando, last time I was in (last week, I'm in Baton Rouge right now) there were at least 8 Lak's on the wall, and another 15-20 in cases... :D (speakin' of which, anyone seen Larry Kaye? He bought a BEYOOTEEFUL Lak from us a couple weeks ago, and I haven't seen him on here since...guess he's too busy playing it! ;) )

...oh, and if you're looking for an EBS MultiComp, we got them in stock at Bass Central.

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Hey Gard ...

I guess I didn't hear that you were working over at Dave and Beaver's. Lordy, lordy, lordy. I'll bet you're the youngest person ever to achieve Nirvana ... no, not the band, the state of existence. My head is swimming just thinking about it. You don't have any used Sadowsky's do you? Lordy.

How much you got on them MultiComp? Bass NW is at $189.

Also, do you carry the Lakland gig bags at something below list? Hats?

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Yo Munji!

I'm not that young, but as old as you are, I'm not surprised that you'd be confused. ;) Alzhimers does that I hear. Besides, I'm only working part-time (2-3 days a week on average, when I'm in town), so it's not fully Nirvana, just yet.

Last time I was in, there were not used Sadowsky's in, but as it's been well over a week since I was there, one could have come in. If you're serious about knowing, the toll-free number is right there in the ads in all the bass mags, give 'em a call. All the guys that are there (Beaver, Grasshopper, Mark, Neil [y'all know him as DirtyRoadCola on here, he usually works there on Saturdays]) are great, and will bend over backwards to help you out. I'm gonna be out of the shop until at least this weekend, maybe even until next week sometime.

Dunno what the sale price of the MultiComp is, but I'm sure they'd at least meet if not beat BassNW's price. Same suggestion as above, pick up that phone and press a few buttons, all it costs is some time :).

We do have the Under Cover Case gig bags in stock, both single and double and in several different colors. Those are the same ones that Lakland buys and has their name embroidered on. Excellent bags, I just bought a double bag a couple weeks ago (It's BRIGHT red :eek: ), it's easily worth every penny. I'd imagine if you HAD to have a Lakland bag, they could get you one, but you can get the same bag for less by getting an Under Cover. As for hats/t-shirts/etc, again, I don't think they have anything in stock, but I'm certain they could arrange to get you anything you'd like.

Hope that was helpful...

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Gard -

I can't believe it. Best buddies for years, and you're not even going to give me the phone number? Look it up on the web? Is that all we mean to each other after all we've almost been through? You're not gonna cut me a special deal on the MultiComp? What happened? Does this mean we're not going steady any more?

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Sheesh...wadda whiner.... :rolleyes:

OK, the number's 1-800-545-8831, feel betta? ;)

I can't cut you a special deal for two reasons:

1) I don't have the clout yet to set prices, but I can ask the powers that be to help out;
    2) I'm not in the store until next week, I'm stuck in Lousy-ana painting and stuff, getting my house ready to sell.

Oh, and we never were going steady, would you PLEASE stop telling everyone that...it's embarassing!! :eek: