GC Labor Day Sale -- After-Action Report

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bongolation, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    OK, so how was it at your store?

Here, they had a wad of Dirnts for $449.99 (eh...) and some cheaper gear at so-so prices.

I got a brand new, factory-sealed SWR Pro Series 550X head in the box for $499.99. That's not quite 2/3 off MSRP.

Aside from some high-end Warwicks at almost 2/3 off, that was about all the long deals in the bass department here.
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I picked up a new Bongo 5 SC/H for $699 with a set of strings thrown in. Thread coming as soon as I clean it up, and treat the fretboard.
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I visited our GC on Saturday...and ascertained that they have nothing of interest to put on sale. How can a store so big and so full of stuff have so little?

The only thing I can figure is that I'm not yer average GC shopper.
  4. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yeah, on Memorial Day, some GCs had Bongos for $499.99, so I was hoping that maybe there'd be a long deal on one here today. No such luck. No MM gear on sale at all here.
  5. Its been my experience that GC's can keep some inventory off the floor in anticipation of the big sale(s).
  6. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    My GC had only a few good deals that I saw. Free coffee and donuts :hyper: , Turntables for $10, Tascam digital mixer $500, Korg AmpWorks for both bass and guitar at $30, OLP MM 4 string $179. I bought a vintage chrome Morley Wah/Vol./Auto-Wah for $75. I'm a sucker for filters and this one is super-chewy and very adjustable. I will probably never gig w/ it. I need to join a band that is looking for stupid synthwahfilternoise bass!
  7. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Several Bongo 4 HH's for $599 and several Bongo 5 HH's for $799 at my GC
  8. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    That's true; a lot of the time, they don't drag the stuff out until after closing on Sunday night. They usually work until midnight or later setting up the sale.

On the other hand, most of the deals I've bought in the recent past weren't even out on the floor, but rather somewhere in the stock room. I look at "The List," and find something I want, only to discover that it's not on the floor. I ask someone and they look and then check the storeroom. That's usually where it is, on the wrong shelf somewhere.

That's where this SWR head was. That's where a lot of the deep sale items are because they're showing up on the computer as dead stock, and the reason they're dead stock is because they're misplaced somewhere in storage.

I got a new Ampeg head at the Westlake Seattle GC that was blown out at 75% off and had apparently been lost for several years under a pile of other amps. They were looking for it to sale tag it when I was in the store one Sunday morning. They looked for over an hour before finding it. When they did, I bought it...cheap! :p
  9. chuckee

Jun 9, 2005
    Norfolk, VA
    Guitar Center, Rockville, Maryland, (before 9:00 AM today) yielded a nice metallic-orange Bongo V (rosewood) and a black (maple) Fender Deluxe P-Bass 4-string for $499 each. :hyper: I'm now shopping for a case for one or the other. I didn't see a lot of the other sale items as I was at least the 65th person entering the store. They handed out a list upon entering and collected same on exiting.
  10. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Nice shootin' cousin! ;)
  11. chuckee

Jun 9, 2005
    Norfolk, VA
    Thanks, Bongolation.
  12. Man, my not so local GC (Raleigh, NC) had absolutely nothing on sale. In fact, they had alot of the same stuff, just more expensive than the last time I saw it, right after Memorial Day.

Course, I guess I cant complain, right after Memorial Day, I got a brand new Mesa Walkabout head for 450.
  13. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    My oldest and best friend (and bandmate) just called from GC and informed me that he plunked down the cash for a minty-fresh Taylor 354-CE 12 string...a darned fine guitar that he knew he'd buy someday, eventually, sooner or later, etc. etc.

GAS pains are catching, it seems. I ordered a Bongo HH/P 5 string out of the Basscentral pipeline one week ago.

I really, REALLY wish I could have the Bongo available for the gig we've got this weekend, but unfortunately one cannot rush such things. :(

And though I COULD head down to the local GC and pick up a H/SC Bongo with intent to return it after the gig, I won't go there. Bassmonkee, bovinehost and others from the EBMM forum know the ruckus that issue caused.
  14. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I just got back form the GC labor day sale with this(not my actual bass of course, i'll post a pic of that later)

I got a super deal and my eight year old son got his first guitar, a red squier mini-strat :D
  15. chuckee

Jun 9, 2005
    Norfolk, VA
    NIIIIIICE!! :cool:
  16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I see the GCs in St. Louis are carrying Corts now. THose new Corts with the wenge necks are nice, but I really loved those Cort Curbows! I may have to get a Cort Curbow 5. For less than $430, that little bass really sounds great!

I checked out a $$ Warwick, I wasn't too impressed, but I really didn't play it that long either, so don't make up your mind based on this post.
  17. PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Good choice, nice color.
  18. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    How'd the hell you snag that hell of a deal?
  19. whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I went there a few weeks ago to "look" and ended up walking out with a bass. I cannot go back! That is an EVIL place! EVIL! EVIL!
  20. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    heh--Nice score. And, thanks for the info. I think you just saved me some money on an already awesome deal.