GC new mail catalog

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MEKer, Nov 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    So periodically I get a thin Guitar Center catalog in the mail, usually for special holiday sales, maybe 4-5 times a year. So the last one just before Thanksgiving came in and I took a look ...................not a single thing about basses. :mad:

I guess we are unappreciated and few basses sell at GC. What a shame. I say POO!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    lol I feel your pain, but this is nothing new. Just about every catalog from most music stores that I've ever received has had little to no bass-related gear in them. And when there IS something, rarely is it anything to whoop about (IE a starter bass, some strings I'm uninterested in, etc). Never worth it to get your hopes up when one of those comes in the mail.

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Mine go directly into the trash, don't even take them inside.
    and I've called those jokers (& Sam Ash) more than a couple of time to ask them to cancel those snail mail catalogs

Makes me wonder how much money gets wasted on unwanted catalogs, since I have the same problem with Gamestop, Harbor Freight, and others I probably forgot about.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I toss the small catalogues.
    My local GC usually has 80 to 90 basses hanging up.
    98 last time I checked.

5. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Thumbed through.Straight to trash.
    Sweetwater catalog gets saved.

6. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Yeah, I usually save that one a long time also....for entertainment reading when bored as I enjoy looking at all the other stuff besides the basses.

BlueAliceOasis, Lvjoebass and gebass6 like this.
  7. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Yes, our GC has a lot of basses hanging up also, but never advertise them. Sheesh.

jd56hawk likes this.
  8. It's definitely kind of odd. There's usually at least two pages devoted to drums, whereas when they put basses in, there's one or two on a page with guitars. I can understand there being far more guitars than anything else, but I doubt they sell substantially more drum sets than basses.

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  9. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I look forward to them because no one else corresponds with me via USPS, except my grandma (birthday and Christmas).

10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    I toss their catalogs and mailers as soon as they show up. Straight into the recycling bin on the way from the mailbox back into the house. They never even cross our threshold.

11. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Pownal, ME
    I work for the USPS and my own MOTHER used to complain about all the "junk" mail she got. I told her; "mom, I work for the USPS...that's how I feed your grand-kids. Is it too much to ask that you take this fine bulk business mail out of your mailbox and put it in your recycle bin?" She'd smile and say ok...until the next time.:rolleyes:

12. aaronious

aaronious

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    It's just a catalog, if you have 5 pages to sell something you gonna advertise the sellers.

GC does this weird thing though, they have stores where you can actually go in and play any one of the huge selection of basses they have hanging on the way. If you ask, they'll even set it up for you. It's crazy I know, but you should try it.

They don't sound good in the catalog anyway. really thin sounding.

13. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. In Memoriam

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska

Son of Wobble likes this.
  14. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Per usual, the GC experience varies hugely by store and region. My local GC (Braintree Mass) usually has around 30 basses hanging, but only 4-5 bass amps, including the used ones. They don’t do any setup at all prior to sale, so most of the basses have high action or other issues. Not a great sales tactic IMO. I haven’t bought anything beyond strings for a couple years, so they dropped me off the mailer list.

15. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    My local has a few basses and a few amps..but....not one single cotton pickin effect for bass...ever!

16. J.D. Detroit

J.D. Detroit

Nov 12, 2015
    Detroit
    They go right in the recycling.
    Small price drops on all the junk they can't sell - no thanks I'll pass..

17. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    I’m guessing about 5 are worth a [email protected]? ;)

jd56hawk likes this.
  18. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I've wondered the same thing. I guess it would be a difficult thing to accurately quantify. For me though, it's very rare that I purchase something without first already knowing what I want through researching it online. Maybe some people do look through those catalogues and say "hey, I want that" but I can't imagine there are all that many people that buy that way these days.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  19. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Inactive

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I don't know if it's like that at other GC stores but the one I have closest (2 hour round trip drive) stocks a pathetic shopwing of basses and bass gear. They normally have basses ranging in the 200-$500 range and that's it. Nothing has a decent setup on it when you do try one. It just seems as though the whole corporation forgets about the bass players.

20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Obviously, you don't have pen pals, from around the world...