1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GC on Labor Day = 7th Circle of Hell

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZonGuy, Sep 1, 2008.

1. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    The wankers were out in full force and volume. I needed strings. Dashed in, dashed, out.

I hope they pay those guys well

2. hey

hey

Jul 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    No, they created the 11th circle just for GC's wankers.

3. I was in Sam ash today for strings as well. Of course they don't stock the strings I was looking for...but there was a mob there today for the labor sale as well. The funny thing was that they were all hovering around the guitar and drums areas, leaving the bass area bare! I took advantage of the empty space and made sure to let everyone in the store know how hard the bass can rock.

4. Yeah, I walked into one of our local music stores to buy some new Peavey speakers. There was this kid on guitar- not loud- but trying to do this metal distortion thing... People were looking at him and he was looking around. But the volume was low, so it didn't bother me.

5. Couldn't find the earlier GC thread about what was on sale, so I'll post in this one. I was in and out and the only reason I bothered to stop in was, some cool TBer mentioned that the acoustic b20 amp was on sale for 119.99, so I went and took advantage of the price protection and got the difference refunded to me. This could have easily been avoided if thaty'd given me the amp for 119.99 2 weeks ago. Hey 30 bux is 30 bux, I would have bought a little Big Muff, just to have it but decided againsty it and just left. Maybe another time.

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I went into my local one with the intent to only purchase strings but I figured I'd look around. There was the usual metal heads wailing away, but nothing too over bearing so I checked out a few basses. While I was playing the second one, two 12ish year old kids brought guitars over, and plugged into the bass amps next to me and started jamming away.

I picked up, went to accessories, used the promotional gift card to get a free set of strings, and took off.

7. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    Have you ever pulled the psycho-ballistic routine? Play something impressive then turn to the offending party and say (in a screaming voice)

WHY DO YOU PLAY SO LOUD IF YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO PLAY THE **** INSTRUMENT?

ARE YOU PLANNING ON TAKING LESSONS?

DO YOU KNOW HOW FREEKIN RUDE YOU ARE?

JEEEEZUS, WHAT MUSICAL DOLTS !!!!! (Slam bass dpown and walk off)

I look at it as sort of like uprooting weeds.

8. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

I had the same problem when I was going to buy my LMII, three 12year olds simultaneously playing out of tune guitars...I immediately got out of there...

9. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Haha If only they were worth it.

10. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    I hate the vibe at my local GC...its probably the same vibe all over the country. I just cant stand the sales guys and their lack of knowledge of the products they are trying to sell. The last 2 times I went in there was for flatwound strings and pickup screws. Both times the stoner dude said they didnt have any while I proceeded to find both on the wall behind the counter. Then they ask me if I need anything else!

I only feel at ease in used/vintage stores, or ordering off the internet. Ya'll can have the GC's, MF is as close as I will get to that organization.

11. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I usually don't get uppity at kids and have revenge fantasies because to someone else, we're all "that guy!". If I find someone playing obnoxiously loud, I go some place else or make my purchase faster. It's also the reason I don't turn up the volume when trying out a bass, it won't sound any better and always get an appointement if I want to try out some amps (wich I rarely do).

12. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    I can't say that I've ever been tempted to scream at 12 yr old kids In GC.
    Uhmm, was that your question?

They're 12 yr old kids, it's all part of the big box music store experience. I know that there is a good chance that I am going to run into those scenarios before I even walk into the store.
    I will admit to walking into and then right out of a music store for that very reason though! ;)

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I always go when the kids are in school, though I finally picked up a Pitch Black tuner today without incident.

14. DudeWheresMy182

DudeWheresMy182

Jun 23, 2004
    Milwaukee
    believe me, everyone wants to yell at all the kids wanking at ANY GC. lol

15. Jsegbers

Jsegbers

Aug 26, 2008
    Including the employees, do you really think they like it.

Worked there 3 years ago before being a tech at a smaller local store.

I worked in pro audio so it was no big deal really, more proffessional clients to deal with.

But the one time I covered drums while the guy was on lunch. I took the drum sticks outta all the little kiddies hands and asked where their parents were? All replied accross the mall at biggs.

Once I realized I was a babysitter and no longer a salesman, I corralled all of them up that were under 14 and made them wait for their parents to pick them up at the front counter....

I guess sometimes I can be a real dick haha

16. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    No way I would have gone to GC today. I'm closing in on grandfather age and finally starting to recognize there are some things that are just best avoided to keep me from desiring turning into a superhero.

As far as the guys that work at ours, they treat me great and seem like people just trying to make a living. No complaints.

17. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I worked at Sam Ash for a while. Trust me, no one hates the obnoxious metal kids more than the employees.

We had all sorts of tricks to get rid of them, because they never buy anything. The most effective was to kick the extension cord out of the socket that feeds the power strip to the Peavey/Line 6/whatever section. They always leave without a word because they're afraid they broke something they can't afford.

The best one, though: The store is empty except for metal kids. You walk up to a metal kid and say, "Hey man, sorry but I need that cable for a customer who wants to demo a guitar." He hands you the cable and you calmly walk back to the counter and hang it up.

18. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Haha, our drum manager would do that all the time. He'd just all of a sudden drop what he would be doing and yell. "ALRIGHT, THAT'S ENOUGH! ROUND EM UP!" and just walk from set to set jacking the sticks. haha. We used to call the drum section "Day Care" because they always sold less than everyone else on top of being the drop off spot for little kids.

19. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I was amazed at how empty mine was. It was scary quiet.

20. Reckless

Reckless

Jun 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Last time I was at guitar center, I was getting an acoustic guitar at the time. Two kids were hassling the guy I was dealing with, I suppose he was the only guitar guy working that area. First they tried getting a whammy bar, but the GC employee found that the whammy bar hole was stripped. Kid comes back with a different guitar, gets the whammy. Five minutes later comes back for a pick. By this time you would think the kid and his friend would be playing the guitar. Nope, they were making feedback noise. . . In unison.