1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GC return policy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kipp Harrington, Jul 12, 2019 at 5:22 AM.

1. I apologize if this has been discussed previously.

Looking into a used bass from GC (possibly a “store to store” shipment). If I remember correctly, they have a 30 day return policy if I am not satisfied with the purchase. Is this correct? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks a TON!!!

Charlzm likes this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I think it's 45 now. Basses marked as vintage used to have a three day return policy but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

Keger Jupit and wintremute like this.
  3. Yep... I just checked. Thanks! Was just wondering if anyone had a difficult return experience.

4. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    In ny experience returning at GC is easy. The only thing to be aware of is that any shipping charges are not refunded unless the item is broken or was misrepresented (which happens a lot with used gear).

5. Thanks Reedt2000... does this include store to store shipping costs? If so, that’s BS!

Reedt2000 likes this.
  6. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Yeah, im pretty sure it does. I can see it from GCs perspective that they incurred the cost of moving the item so if there is nothing wrong with it they don't feel they should eat that cost. The shipping prices tend to be really reasonable. Last time I had a bass shipped to my house it was around $20. My GC is really close so I just have stuff sent directly to me cause driving 10 min to return is not a huge deal. If I remember correctly the ship to store cost was about the same as shipping to me.

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    If you're returning it because you don't like it than you eat the shipping whether it's store to store or store to your house. That's not unfair. If it's not as described than you get the shipping back. Arguing to get shipping money refunded for an undisclosed issue has been the only hassle I've had with GC returns and it only happened a couple of times. But it's been a few years since I've done it so policies may have changed.

bdplaid, Machiavelli and Reedt2000 like this.
  8. Thanks... now that you mention it, this all sounds familiar. Thanks for taking the time to explain this. Much appreciated!

Spidey2112, staurosjohn and Reedt2000 like this.
  9. Thanks for the info, Gorn.

Gorn likes this.
  10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's almost too easy, really to the detrement of future owners of the bass you're returning. You could gut a $2000 Fender and replace the parts with Squier Affinity electronics. They'd never know. There's been times when I've returned a bass and they didn't even plug it in. But again, policies may have changed so I'm not sure.

monsterthompson and MCF like this.
  11. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    I just had to return a used bass to GC not long ago. My own fault, I didn't look closely enough to realize that part of the model number stood for FRETLESS. I completed the whole return process through their online chat system. Super easy, and the person who helped me was very helpful. Bummer about the bass though. Thought I found a winner.

12. No... I think that sounds about right. Especially considering it’s GC. Just speaking from experience. If they didn’t have the 45 day return policy, I probably wouldn’t be buying from them.

13. Ya, i’ve done it. No problems at my local GC.

14. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    I've ordered a bass from another state, delivered to my local GC. It had a minor crack behind the headstock, so then and there, I returned it for full refund. No big deal. In fact, same thing for a new bass. It was delivered to my local GC, opened the box, and it was scratched. Just returned it and ordered another right then, another week later and I had a nice one delivered.

pcake and Spidey2112 like this.
  15. Alright... cool. That’s good news!

16. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

You also don’t have to ship it back to the store you bought it from.
    You may drive to the nearest GC with your receipt and return it there

Gearhead17 and pcake like this.
  17. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    I've used this many times to try out basses I've been GASing for. I think it's great because there were times I hated the bass I thought I'd love, and other times I got a bass I really wanted. It's definitely 45 days, and be aware you will "lose" the shipping fee you paid, so I would not recommend anything quicker than the cheapest Ground.

18. Great advice... thanks for the tip!

19. I've been treated well with regard to returns. It pays to be an educated, logical buyer so as not to return. I recently made a rookie mistake and let emotions get involved with a bass and that rarely works out.

20. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I have bought thousands of dollars worth of USED stuff from them (got one showing up here today in fact) and returned not nearly that much, so this has worked out well for them.

Returns are 45 days unless the item is marked "vintage" and then I think it's either 3 or 7. I don't buy that stuff so I truly don't know.

You won't get shipping back unless the thing is defective - the guys at my local store had no problems doing it on an amp head I bought recently that was, in fact, defective. I don't abuse that, that last amp head is the first time I have asked for shipping back. Shipping is WAY cheaper than renting.

I have NEVER had a problem returning anything and I just tell them I don't like it.

The only advantage to store-to-store is that you can pick it up there and if you don't like it, you can just return it on the spot. You still get dinged for shipping. I like settling in with something for at least a few days to see if I like it, so I just have it shipped to my workplace. Plus that way I only have to drive to GC once instead of twice.