1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GC to be the exclusive U.S. Dealer for Rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rocmonster, Jun 7, 2012.

1. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    This is what the salesperson told me as I was browsing through the store this morning.:rolleyes:

Didn't Rick kick GC to the curb in 2005 for selling knockoffs? Anyhow, he (the salesman) said "GC will be the exclusive dealer of Rickenbacker in the US." I just can't believe that. Anyone here have any more info?

I guess someome could post this on the Ric Forum but I don't feel like trolling John Hall

:bag:

j/k

2. pfff yeah right that aint happening, its because they were charing extra for cases, basically saying they didnt come with cases.

3. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    I doubt it......at the very least the " exclusive" part.

4. Unless something has changed (and it may very well have) Rickenbacker uses Musicians Friend (a subsidiary of GC) but not GC due to too many models being bought - returned - and shipped back to Ric as well as the floor models being beat to hell and returned for credit.

Again,, this has been the previous policy, but I don't know if that has changed recently. ;)

5. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    guitar center still does that with fenders...:rollno:

6. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    Yeah, I think the dude was B.S.'ing. There was a used 4003 for $1800 with some Strat like bar pickup in the treble position and a professionally installed BA bridge on it he says was once owned by the bass player of 'Survivor'. Prolly full of it about that too. Not that there's anything wrong with 'Survivor'...

7. Wow! Don't know what GC you shop at, but I have ordered a couple of basses from GC over the years (a MIA 62RI P and a 75RI Jazz) and they never charged me extra for the cases....

Guess I got in under the wire, huh?

8. You can't even buy a new Rick bass at gc right now. How are they gonna be exclusive? Haha. Sounds like bs to me

9. Yep and rick wasnt having it , I guess fender has to go through to many people to get to the top and at that point they dont care. Ric's CEO is very involved with the company and I dont think he was going to have that and pulled the plug.

10. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Last year I was about to get an mia fender at guitar center. I asked wheres the case? you do know that anywhere else they come with a case... The kid looked confused then said well you could buy one for an extra 100$ I walked out.

11. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    Strange....the only big name music shops that actually have RICs in stock in my area are all Sam Ash. The guys at GC told me the only time they've ever had rics when when they come in used....

12. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Central Florida
    Hmm, Rickenbacker has limited production, is it easier dealing with 1 company or multiple?
    I don't think it will happen, unless they carry a specific new line (non American).

13. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    As of about a month ago, Guitar Center stores with PLATNIUM showcase rooms will be stocking Rickenbacker guitars. John Hall himself said this on the Rick Resource Forum.

14. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    No. He meant when you buy in the store they will charge you for a case - which is true IME. Online they will come with a case for no extra charge.

15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    But Rics aren't "platinum" instruments... No offense to Ric owners, but Rics are no better or worse than EBMM basses or MIA Fenders.

16. wouldnt be the first time a GC salesperson was full of it.
    Once I was in a GC and saw an interesting EBMM Stingray on the wall. It was an all rosewood neck with a color I had never seen before.
    I asked the sales guy and he said "EBMM doesnt make all rosewood necks, they would crack. That is a stain"

17. That wouldn't be a wise business move for Ric, if they even care. People still buy them even though you dont see them as easily as other brands in EVERY store.

Have you ever bought gear at Best Buy? I'm as non-violent as one can get, but it's hard to not want to punch the JO who greets you by playing air guitar (poorly) and ask "Do you play dude?"

There's a music store here that's been around way before BigBox and they have at least a dozen Rics in stock, every day. If Ric takes that away in favor of BigBox, that would just be awful.:eyebrow:

That last sentence was hard to keep clean.

18. Gotcha!! My Bad!:D

19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    GC salesman are not a reliable source for truth. Most of them are wannabes with bad haircuts and body odor.

20. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA :rollno: