GC today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Sep 24, 2005.

1. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well I've got a short review for you guys here about my time at GC today.

First off I thought they were really helpful (at least the guy who helped me out was.)

They also had great selections!

But here goes:

First I played a warwick passsive corvette (first time for me so yay!) I played that through a ampeg svt and a 810 (first time also)

I was impressed by the amount of volume I got, it was really cool, however the tone just seemed bland to me, the overall feel of the warwick was also really nice, but it was just to growly for me.

Overall I give the warwick+ampeg svt+ ampeg 810 a 6/10

It just wast my thing, but needless to say other people love the tone from warwicks and their 80+ lb all tube heads and 120+ lb 8x10 fridges.

Second thing I played was a spector legend 5 string into a GK 2001rb into a sbx 410 and a sbx 115.

WOW.....this rig IMO kicked the crap out of the ampeg 810 and svt. It had so much more punch and clarity I was in heaven!

It was a little hissy but I think that was because of the spector's active pups. I really liked the tone I got out of it, and it is very versitle. I could go from funky soul with some big bottom to straight up punk rock with great ease.
    The spector +gk rig gets a 9/10 in my book.
    Overall great setup, didn't really lack much other than the spector was a little bright for me, but I could adjust the highend with the GK's EQ.

Then I played an MIA J bass and this was where the magic happened.

The GK brought out so much color and life to the jazz it was unbelivable!
    It was smooth yet at the same time retained crystal highs and big crunchy bottom.
    The volume was great to nearly 3 times as loud as what I play my tnt at and the master was on 4.

The jazz for me is what did it, I loved it so much, the playability was out standing, the feel, the fret work, the electronics, the pots ALL felt like high quality.

I give the MIA J bass and GK rig a 10/10 nothing IMO comes better.

Which leads me to say that I'am currently gassing for a GK1001RB-II along with an sbx 410 and 115 and a Fender MIA J bass.

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    If it sings to you, buy it. :bassist: