Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GC trip,not bad at all.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AxtoOx, Jan 19, 2006.

1. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I know GC gets bashed a lot around here, some their fault, but maybe not all of it.
    It's 1 1/2 hrs. away for me to go to Oklahoma City so I don't just pop in. In San Diego I did a lot of business w/ them but since I've been here, I've been a Bass Central guy.
    I needed to trade in a Monster Cable ( don't get me started on them), and if things went well I would pick up a couple of other things.
    The store was nice, different inventory than San Diego, fewer PRS's, fewer Warwicks and they didn't have a shrine built for Ampeg. Fewer Les Pauls too, but they had more brands. I saw my first Peavey Bass and frankly I was impessed. No kids cranking the Crate amps w/ cheap guitars, and both people I delt with seem to know their stuff.
    I got my cable swapped, got a rack tuner and power conditioner for less than I would have paid on the net even after tax, and was told I could always get a deal just tell them what I want. All in all a good trip.
    Since they get so much bad press, I thought I would give them credit when they deserved it.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Glad it worked out well for you!

I've had good luck with GC... I generally know what I want and somehow won the favor of the manager of Pro Audio...he deeply discounts everything that I buy from him (from any department) pretty much without me asking for a better price...

3. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    I have a guy here at my local GC that does the same thing. So much so that the other people in his department will do it too if he is not there and i'm shopping.:smug:

4. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Yeah but in general people are just nicer in Oklahoma.:p They can't drive worth crap, but they are nicer.:D j/k

Glad you had a good experience with them considering the drive you had.

5. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    the money you saved on that stuff was prolly lost on gas prices though... :meh:

glad it was a good time. It is good to keep up the old tradition of 'try it before you buy it' and actually having that salesperson-customer relationship.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Good call on posting this thread bro. I am still waiting to get a raw deal from a GC employee. Every purchase I have made there has been fine.

Sure, they don't know everything. That is why I do all my research right here on TB before I even leave the house.

-Mik

7. thekyle

thekyle

Dec 25, 2005
    Breckenridge, CO

I have a lot of family in Oklahoma, and a lot of them are quite loony. And the most evil (at least to me) person I have ever known is from there. The driving thing is right. Living in Texas, I could never figure out how people that drove flat, straight roads could drive so badly on flat, straight roads. Now I live in a ski town, and we have five feet of snow on the ground and most roads have about 6 inches of packed snow on top of 3 inches of ice. I shudder every time I leave the house because we are now overrun with Oklahomanites.

Enough Oklahoma ranting...

I'm about to have to make a trip to Denver to get strings. I will probably go to GC because I know where one is. I've never had problems with them, but I know what I want and need so I just usually just make the guy run around getting stuff for me so he will leave me alone long enough to try something out.

8. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Funny you should mention that, I got rear ended not 2 blocks away on my way home.
    For some reason the lady was sure it was my fault so she called the cops and faked an injury, Fire trucks, parmedics, the whole nine yards. Then the cop told her not only was it her fault, but he was giving her a ticket. All of the sudden she wasn't hurt anymore.

I was up there for an appointment, so gas didn't matter.

Now this is just my opinion, but to me New England drivers take the cake. They don't know what a stop sign is and the think their car won't run unless they press the horn.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I never had a bad dealing with my local GC.

I think some folks come into a GC and fall victim to a self fulfilling prophecy. If I go in there expecting a negative experience then I will find something to fault them with.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This is very true.

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Oh great :rolleyes: the suburban Chicago drivers are embracing the New England style of driving (the stop sign and red light running crap is completely out of hand..) and the horn stuff must be next....:bawl:

12. Don't blame that stuff on New England. That's New Jersey's fault.