1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GC Uses Gear

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tewest86, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Tewest86

Tewest86 Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    My GC in New Orleans has a used Lakland 55-94 for sale for $2300. The kick is its in horrible condition. All the metal pieces on the bass (bridge, nuts, screws) are rusted or corroded. The finish is all banged up. There's no way a smart person would pay $2300 for this beat up Lakland. I tried to talk to the sales guy but he would listen. On a scale from 1-10 I'll give this bass a 2. Honestly, the 55-02 beside it plays way better and looks better.

Attached Files:

2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    More than likely they overpaid for it based on what it is, and now have to keep the price high to make any money. If people are smart, it'll sit for a long time, and they'll eventually lower the price.

3. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    thats funny the GC by me, wouldnt deal on a trade in for on of my Laklands cuz they didnt know enough about them to make me an offer according to there value......:meh: go figure!

4. Granddesign

Granddesign

May 10, 2011
    Houma,LA
    Endorsing Artist: Malekko Pedals
    I played that Lakland Thursday yes it is in horrible condition, GC in new Orleans only knows very little of what they sell as far as basses go much less what they don't sell. I frequent there often and know a few workers. First thing it bought about that Lakland is that I would maybe pay 500 for it,lol

5. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    The worst seal I ever saw at a GC was in San Bernardino years ago....a used G&L Tribute L-2000 for $1200!!

:scowl:

6. I wonder what the cost of setting up that Bass to be in playable condition would be.

7. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    That looks pretty good for the things i have seen for sale in guitar center... Example a wine red 90s squier with the black pointy almost ibanez like 2+2 headstock that was cracked in half and looked it it spent a week under water they were asking 150$ for

8. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    They have Laklands and MTDs at GC?

9. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Supporting Member

Used.

10. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Saw a MIM Squier at a GC listing for $500... next to it was a used MIA Fender for $600. :confused:

11. I've seen many good used deals at GC over the years. Generally, when something is priced unreasonably it's because someone purchased it for way more than they should have.

12. I often use the search engine on guitarcenter.com to search their entire used database for deals. I think you can even get your local store to ask the store with the Bass you want to have it sent for their stock if you really want to try it out as well. You can also email/call the store itself for an in-hand description.

They get a bad rap, but they are a business and businesses don't survive without professionalism.

13. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I don't think you saw an MIM Squier.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If they've marked it at $2,300, they probably have about $1,200 in it. It'll come down after it sits there for a while.

15. Yeah, after X number of months the price is automatically reduced. I'm sure there is some top secret algorithm which automatically calculates the change.

16. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Boston GC had a 90s ESP 5 string P/J that looked like it had been to the moon and back, with a $1200 tag on it. Should have been around $700.00....

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

This - I've gotten some pretty good deals by buying from GC's used gear pages... I've also had to return about half of the basses I've ordered that way, because they weren't in the condition I was told they were... Still, some bargains can be had, with zero risk other than tying up some money for a few days...

- georgestrings

18. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    They do exist...I have one from the '90s when Fender was between Asian factories. They were clearanced for $179 when the usual price was under $300.

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

It's possible - there were some MIM Squiers made in the 90s, IIRC...

- georgestrings

20. This is the case with my local GC, terrible knowledge. I talked to the string "expert" about short scale flatwounds. He didn't know what a short scale bass was, he thought I was talking about a 3/4 or 1/2 scale bass. :meh: Then he said they don't make such a thing as shortscale flatwounds. :rolleyes:

To the OP, the same said local GC usually has some really nice used stuff. The last "gem" I saw there was a white on white MIM P for $400 in great condition. Not to mention a Squier PJ Special for $150 that had me GASing the moment I saw it was a 2000 model. The thing looked brand new!