1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'GCenter Drama And Still Don't Understand'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mustBmtd, Nov 25, 2018.

1. mustBmtd

mustBmtd Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    Never get mad, I just still don't understand why. Called a guitar center out of town. I was interested in a bass I had been interested in. Bass in topic is a Cort/Elrick Josh Paul Signature 5string. Since it's the holidays I thought I'd give it a shot since there were some discounts and mark downs going on and plus they'd had the bass awhile. Listed at $499.00. So after making contact with sells rep. He finds out the bass had been sold once, and was immediately returned do to neck adjustment problems. Now I'm asking what I could possibly get the bass for with knowing about the neck problem. $449.00 go figure still with no holiday discount.

Obese Chess and Ellery like this.
  2. Depending on how long they had it it can be difficult for GC staff to discount used gear. Also GC doesn't do "holiday deals" on used gear.

3. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy ~¿~ Supporting Member

That retail organization (which is an ironic word to use, since they're so *un*organized) is a pitiful giant of non-customer-service.
    After having jumped through hoops for the last half dozen purchases I attempted to make (from used basses to a simple pack of strings) and failing, I have a mantra: FGC

I'll never even consider spending a dime there again or waste my time.

(the mantra is, for the record, "forget" GC. There, now it's G-rated)

4. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    The GC close to me is actually really good and the staff is super helpful and friendly

Col Pruse, Picton, JOME77 and 19 others like this.
  5. It'll be a gamble. It might be like the Ibanez guitar I got. The neck just wouldn't give me enough relief, even with the truss rod nut backed off as far it would go.
    Some claimed it was supposed to have a dual-action TR, but it simply would not turn anymore counterclockwise.

They looked at me like I was silly when I returned it, just like they looked at me last week when I returned a bass with a super-flimsy neck & a machine-head that was slipping.

SirMjac28 and Squint like this.
  6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Was the neck problem corrected?

BMGecko and Spidey2112 like this.
  7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm not sure if solutions are included with discounted items...

8. mustBmtd

mustBmtd Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    He stated that it had not been rechecked, and it had been return from the guy who bought it just three weeks ago.

9. They're not a charity, what kind of deal were you hoping for?

10. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Interesting. ;)

11. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    "Drama"? What drama? You wanted a discount and they said no. Sounds pretty calm to me.

12. I read 10% discount. That's the best they'll do most of the time.

LowActionHero likes this.
  13. Davey28

Davey28 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Gaylord, Mi.
    I got lucky with the GC in Flint, Mi.. They had a 2001 Commemorative Precision Bass. I called and asked for a discount, but the manager told me the bass hadn't been in-store long enough for a discount. He described it over the phone and I bought it. It arrived two days later in better-than-described condition. All the original paperwork and case candy, too.

14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Actually, he didn't.

He finds out the bass had been sold once, and was immediately returned do to neck adjustment problems. Now I'm asking what I could possibly get the bass for with knowing about the neck problem.

15. You are attempting an "as-is" purchase. GC and other big retailers don't do that. They offer a no-hassle return policy, and let YOU discover the issues [if you are informed enough to find them], and just deal with the returns. Just like Walmart, they will often put the item back on the shelf, sometimes without even checking the defect, and just knock some off the price. It might sell a couple times, get discounted a few times, and eventually will sell and not come back.

Mom and pop stores, and stores like Elderly do offer as-is instruments, and will entertain offers. Good luck btw.

Admiral Akbar and Gearhead17 like this.
  16. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    Bunch of dramatic corporatists they is, only offering up a fifty buck discount.

Thieves!!

17. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I must have missed the drama part.

I'm assuming you think the neck problem is not a fatal defect, so why not buy it for the asking price? If it's really a junk neck, send it back.

oldrocker and Nev375 like this.
  18. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    I have a few beers and bowl of popcorn lined up but no drama.

19. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Purchase it, have it delivered to your nearest store. Bring an Allen set with to pick it up. Check it out in the store, if it sucks, return it right there. That’s what I’ve done when I was shopping for BTB’s. I ended up with a reverb bass, the G center bass had a crack at the base of the headstock. At least that’s was super easy to notice.

joker820, spaz21387 and mattbass6945 like this.
  20. I have always had great experiences from our local GC as well. As others have said discounts usually don’t apply to used gear, and the employees generally don’t seem to have much leeway on haggling.

alaskaleftybass, PDGood and mrb327 like this.