1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'GCenter Drama And Still Don't Understand'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mustBmtd, Nov 25, 2018.

1. mustBmtd

mustBmtd Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    Not looking for charity, just fair pricing on a bass that has possibly a major problem.

Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  2. $300 knowing that worse case scenario is a new neck

3. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    In last couple of months I went to couple GC stores in the area.
    I don't have nerves to go there anymore.
    I have larger collection of amplifiers than they do. It's just pitiful.

spaz21387 likes this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

curious: if it does have a "major problem" --- what's your 'angle'? thanks.

Slater likes this.
  5. mustBmtd

Sep 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    I probably can fix or repair myself.

6. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    A bass with neck issues is something I’d walk (or run) away from, not pursue further. You must really have a jones for that bass.

alaskaleftybass and JRA like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

cool beans! good luck! :thumbsup:

8. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    My local GC is pretty good too.

The only real problem I have with them is that they sell all their demo gear and customer returns as 'new'.

9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    You were speaking to some minimum wage employee, on the phone, probably dealing with screaming masses on Black Friday weekend. Never mind it is an organization with rules. Go there in person and speak to a manager.

We killed off most retail by failing to shop there. You want the ease of dealing with the Amazon type marketplace, don't expect independent store mentality.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    EddiePlaysBass, PillO, dmt and 2 others like this.
  10. Even if they knock it down to 50% off, what good is a bass with neck issues?
    Sure you could repair it, but...

I remember visiting a G.C. up in NoVa one time & the employee was reaching for a Thunderbird for me, it slipped & bounced off the floor.
    He took a look at the huge gash it put in the body & said "We'll knock $100 off for that!".

It was a $400 instrument.
    25% off is the most I've seen at G.C..

11. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Did it actually have a major problem or just neck adjustment problems (which could have been a simple lack of knowledge by the previous owner).

What do you think would be a fair price on a bass that actually did have a major problem? For me it would have to be incredibly cheap, because I doubt it would have a warranty if it was actually known to be defective, but I would not expect GC, or any other retailer for that matter, to resell a defective product to another customer when they could simply send it back to the manufacturer for repair / replacement. If GC sold it to you for cheap, they would be locking in their loss.

jd56hawk and buldog5151bass like this.
  12. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    True

Most are used less than the ones om the rack though. Small price to pay for getting to test drive one

13. mustBmtd

Sep 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    All I know so far. When The buyer returned it. Was the neck could not be adjusted for proper setup. Meaning adjusting the neck along with intonation and string height.

14. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Thank you for not getting mad at them, stuff like that is mostly out of the employees control due to their strict corporate rules. Remember, they are a corporation.

A lot of stuff can only be discounted a certain amount due to how much they potentially bought it for too

15. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Sounds like GC did you a favor by not discounting it down to whatever you were willing to give.

16. mustBmtd

Sep 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    Meaning?

17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Neither buyer or the employee knew what was wrong with the instrument. There was no way for either side to put a value on it. Go down and check it out.

Nev375 and Omega Monkey like this.
  18. Knavery

Knavery Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    I'm assuming he means you would have regretted the purchase even if they knocked it down more.

petrus61, Omega Monkey and jamro217 like this.
  19. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    I think what @Tim Skaggs was saying is that it sounds like the issues with this bass might be beyond you.

20. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    If the Zombie Apocalypse ever happens run to your nearest Guitar Center store. The zombies will never go to GC because nobody that works there has any brains.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    LYNCHMAN, basscapes and Omega Monkey like this.