1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'GCenter Drama And Still Don't Understand'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mustBmtd, Nov 25, 2018.

1. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    And the cushions off the headphones.

basscapes and Admiral Akbar like this.
  2. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I think that was the least drama I’ve seen. Price points just didn’t line up between seller and buyer. Plus, they’ve just begun their starter pack season where they’ll sell a stack of those every day. It’s busy.

3. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Yeah, I was going to ask if you're sure they understood your intent. I mean, having been interested in a bass you had been interested in. And all.

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    While we have some very sharp minions at our local GC, i’ve been to other locations in my travels and they range form very sharp to clueless knobs saying whatever they think it takes to make a sale.
    If you are dealing with an unknown over the phone and given the ironclad return policy, where is the harm in tying up a bit of cash for a few days on the chance you wind up with a $800 bass for $500? If the minion was right, you’ve lost nothing but a little time to find out for yourself.
    Seems simple enough to me, a bass and a practice amp for the price of the bass alone because you let didn’t let some knob of a minion steer you away from a deal in an attempt to upsell you on a new/different bass with a better commision for him.

5. Maddo

Maddo

Nov 24, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Recently went through this at GC. It’s unbelievable, but when I noticed my guitar had a broken truss rod cap (just the little bullet shaped cork style on the headstock that prevents the truss rod key from scratching the headstock as you insert), they said they can’t give me a discount on the purchased guitar with the broken piece, but could take the price off another guitar if I did an exchange. The guitar in question was a $650 strat. When I found another strat that was $859.99, he said we can do an even exchange for that higher model. It made ZERO sense. The other strat was way better so I won in the end, but I’ve ran it by several people since then and still can’t figure out how they work out their deals.

Omega Monkey likes this.
  6. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Not sure I understand.

The bass was returned with a neck problem, did they GC fix that?

Are you buying it with a neck issue that has since been corrected and you want a discount?

OR....Are you buying it with an unfixed neck and expect a discount?

Life is too short and there are too many basses out there for you to want this one!

Chrisk-K and petrus61 like this.
  7. Maddo

Maddo

Nov 24, 2018
    Los Angeles
    In my experience when dealing with GC, they say if it makes it to the showroom then the manufacturer has deemed it as having passed their factory QC, therefore, the dealer will usually not do anything about it. That’s what they said about my strat. The manager said it was good enough for Fender so it’s good enough to sell. Sure enough I still see my strat hanging up there, (broken truss rod cap and all) on the wall every time I go in.

8. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I don’t see how this was a Dramatic event, your still alive and the sales rep is unharmed as well...:smug::woot:

Nev375 likes this.
  9. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Hello friend. I have an absolutely beautiful bridge you may be interested in. Price is very low, and am I'm barely making any money at all on it, just a little for my troubles...

Anyway, I would just get the bass and then return it if you can't get the neck sorted out (if there is actually a problem).

10. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I'm quite happy with all the bridges on my basses so I doubt I'd be interested. Thanks for the offer though.

11. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    My GC had a USA Fender P with a terrible crack in the headstock. It was discounted..... $100. It sold within a month. Some sucker will buy that bass with the 10% discount. GC is in this to make a profit, not to please all the guitar/bass nerds on internet forums.

12. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I used to work in a music store, and the way things are discount priced is in accordance with unit cost. Sometimes manufacturers offer a sweet deal on a specific item which means they can buy something for well below its normal cost.

Sometimes that discount means that they buy something that's higher quality for less money than the lower quality version. If they're just slapping a 20% over cost profit margin on stuff and they bought it cheaper than usual, you can end up with the scenario you described.

instrumentalist likes this.
  13. Maddo

Maddo

Nov 24, 2018
    Los Angeles
    That makes total sense. The manager wanted to know which item I was interested in and he punched the sku into his handheld device and said he can match the price.

LBS-bass likes this.
  14. mustBmtd

mustBmtd Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    I'm interested in the bass for purchasing. I'm in another state than where the bass is. The salesman I spoke with after asking what would be the best price I could get the bass for after him looking up to see how long the bass had been in. He also came across some info he didn't know about, that the bass had once been sold. But was returned due to not being able to adjust the neck when the buyer took it to have a professional setup. After being returned there was no update of being repaired. I'm not trying to say I want a discount from that info at all. I was asking what was the best price I could get the bass period. The bass was listed on the their website for $499.00 he came down to $449.00 after finding out him self the bass had neck issues.

15. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    I ALWAYS buy, private party.

16. Robscott

Robscott

Mar 20, 2017
    Tonbridge UK
    Did u buy it?

17. Didn't like the sound of it.
    Same for a Rickenbacker 4003 in the store (the main reason I came there).

18. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I don't go to Guitar Center often but I've never had any real problems with the one here. The only annoyance is that it takes a loooong time to buy an instrument there or do a trade-in. I don't know if that's normal or if they are just understaffed. I could understand a trade-in/sale taking a while because they have to check out what they're buying from you...but why does it take so long just to pull a guitar/bass off the floor and sell it to me?

19. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Why would you want it?

20. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I actually got pretty annoyed the other day that Target wouldn't match their own online price of $13.69 when the store price was $19.99. That's nearly a 50% increase! So I know petty drama better than anyone!