1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'GCenter Drama And Still Don't Understand'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mustBmtd, Nov 25, 2018.

1. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I bought one bass from them and was blown away by the prolonged process. Just take my money and give me the bass! Guess they log your info for warranty or something, but what a fiasco.

2. PullThePlug

PullThePlug

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    GC doesn't do deals on their used gear, as that the prices are already insanely low.

Upper echelon type purchases should be delivered in store so it can be inspected upon unboxing. Everybody wins!

I hope OP finds the bass he or she is looking for. Good luck.

3. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Sad that we have to bash on one of the few large brick and mortars we have left. Nobody asks anyone to go there, if they don't like it, don't go there. I've found some pretty incredible deals on GC used gear online. I live in Alaska and call the store before buying to ask the bass guy what the issue is. If it's not too major, and if the price is right, I buy.

There is a seller on eBay that is an official outlet for Ibanez refurbished basses. Evidently Ibanez sells their blems and returns to this guy and he fixes them up. Then resells "like new" with an Ibanez warranty. Unless the bass you're wanting is one of a kind ever, you might look on the Bay.

Good luck, my suggestion is step away from the bass. You will find another copy down the road.

BIGEJ2 and Admiral Akbar like this.
  4. I bought a LTD D4 used from GC, description said great, it was closer to good cond.. It is just a matter of a persons opinion.

5. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    I'm surprised he offered you that much!

6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest

Slater likes this.
  7. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I don't know what they do. My info's been the same for years so they should already have that in their system. And I doubt they do a set up because I'm sure they would've told me every time since it's a nice selling point. Like you said, just take the money and give us the bass. Reminds me of DeNiro in Raging Bull. "Bring it ovaaah here!!!!"

8. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Sorry, but this kind of anti-consumer attitude is nonsense. Customers or potential customers absolutely have a right, nay, a duty to propagate and discuss bad service, shady business dealings, shoddy products, etc... that they've experienced with a given customer (or individual, like dr bass, who apparently just stole a bunch of money from a bunch of people). The upshot is yes, people will likely avoid GC as much as possible. And the reason they're "one of the few large brick and mortars we have left" is because they came in with their vulture capitalism and crushed all the great local places where you could actually get service, selection, and quality, because the "company" was maybe half a dozen or so people whose livelihoods depending on the success of their single store in a small market.

Personally, in this case, I think the guy should just buy the thing at 450 and avail himself of the return policy if needed. Or wait for a nicer example to come along at a reasonable price. There isn't really a third option.

Garret Graves likes this.
  9. happygilmour

happygilmour Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Wilbraham, MA
    Best discounts I've received is free shipping on a used bass and free strings thrown in with a used bass purchase.

10. I worked at GC for three years and we would regularly send back freshly unboxed instruments with issues. It's more difficult if it makes it to the floor then an issue is noticed as it could have been caused by someone after the fact.

11. bizzybass

bizzybass Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2014
    Two things..
    1) used gear offers the highest commission for sales persons at GC.
    2) they don't inspect the gear at least some of the time very well for mechanical issues.

I bought a used neck through Epiphone Thunderbird Bass from GC online. Being a fender guy I didn't have the proper truss-rod wrench so I brought it into a GC to have them adjust it by one of their repair people at the counter. He said the truss rod was not serviceable. The funny thing is it wss back up for sale a week or so later. I knew it was the same one because I matched the serial number on the back of the headstock with the photos I had from my initial purchase. If it was a bad vol/tone potentiometer that wouldn't be one thing. It's highly unlikely anyone took the fretboard off and fixed that truss rod though. Buying used from them can be a great thing and last I checked you have a 45-day return policy. If you don't know how to inspect an instrument properly then I would bring it to a repair / luthier that you respect.

12. This is absolutely untrue. The way it works is that whomever took the instrument in is guaranteed 50% of the commission off the sale. If someone else sells it then they get the other 50%. If it sells online the guy who took it in still gets only 50%. Only way to make 100 is to sell it yourself in-store or to do the online sale. You'd make more commission off a $500 new guitar than a $900 used piece assuming you weren't the one to take it in.

13. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    I don't have much of a problem with the wall hangers and demos. Like you say, it's nice to test drive them.

I don't like paying 'new' price for stuff that's already been bought and used though.
    Sometimes it's been bought and returned more than once, and shows signs of use.

happygilmour likes this.
  14. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Not to be a ***** but we are talking about a bass you have not even heard?

Again, I understand you want them to discount it IF it has not been repaired/assessed properly.

WALK AWAY! There are so many others out there.

Put simply, if they told you $300.00 and it's sold "as is" would you jump at it?

Why?

15. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691 Lovin' the lows

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    The only used instrument purchase from guitar center I can remember was for a bass that was returned because " the truss rod was maxed out". Originally $2999, I walked out with it for $2200. And the truss rod was just fine. They still made $200 on it I guess... I had to talk to the manager for a while though..

16. jd-ns

jd-ns

Sep 28, 2010
    Canada
    So you don't like the price a store is selling an item for... so what? Either buy it or don't buy it.

17. Asking how much discount you can get isn't always the best strategy. Most sophisticated sellers will not go to their bottom line on the first ask. IMHO a far better strategy is to decide what you think it is worth and what want to pay for it and then make a take-it-or-leave-it offer.
    If they were asking $499 to start they were probably in it for $250. I would go on the last day of the month on the last hour of business and offer $350 cash out the door. If the store manager is below his monthly goal he will likely take the deal.

18. I buy everything online from either Amazon or Musicians Friend. MF has free shipping and no taxes in Texas. You have to haggle to get down to the same price and you can alway send it back.

19. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Based on the original post, I agree about your thoughts on looking for holiday discounts, etc. but I don't see where the "drama" is in the story.

20. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    I'm old, and way out of the loop on current idiom. Does "drama" translate as "someone told me 'no' "?

Ross W. Lovell and redwingxix like this.