1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'GCenter Drama And Still Don't Understand'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mustBmtd, Nov 25, 2018.

1. NorseBear0903

NorseBear0903 Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2018
    Its interesting the variability I have experienced with GC. sometimes horrible CS and other times they offer a great price on a new instrument. Havent seen them flex much on used items.

2. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    Looks like from the comments that the GC stores in the midwest are the best of chain. I've had nothing but positive and profitable exchanges with the ones around me.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  3. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    Yeah enough bashing of GC.

It may be “hip” and “cool” to bash GC around here, but it whether you buy from them or not, it’s nice to have a real brick and mortar store to see stuff.

Yes, they have mostly beginner level stuff, but they’ve got nice used stuff.

And you never know whom you might run into. I’ve ran into J Mascis in Manhattan, and Marcus Miller on Long Island. :)

Spidey2112 and redwingxix like this.
  4. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    Yeah, pretty much.

5. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    Marcus Miller on Long Island? It's a trap, I say.

Spidey2112 and Admiral Akbar like this.
  6. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    ah...well then... would "still don't understand" translate as "They didn't give me what I wanted"?

mdogs likes this.
  7. Valsmere

Valsmere Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2018
    southern NJ
    I guess I’m lucky the GC I deal with is great never had an issue at all to be honest.
    My only thing is I wish they had more inventory especially bass amps. It I understand that space in a retail setting is at a premium.

8. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    I think that is an excellent translation of the text. You are well on your way to understanding the language.

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  9. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    I saw him just 2 weeks ago.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  10. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    not doubting your story.

That was just a lame attempt at an admiral akbar joke.

11. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Guitar Center has it's issues, but I'm happy that I can buy something and if it doesn't work out for me, take it back no questions asked. That's more of a comfort when buying used gear. Sometimes their prices are high, sometimes it's a bargain. You just have to pick the right buys and pass on the others. But they're not going to give you a super bargain just because you want it. The used item is selling nationally on their website, not just locally in their store. If you don't want it at the listed price, someone else will. Even if it sits for six months, it will eventually sell.

Admiral Akbar and Spidey2112 like this.
  12. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    I’ve never seen that joke before, redwing! Lol

redwingxix likes this.
  13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Red, if you ever get down to Columbus, check out ours... pretty decent wall of both basses and guitars.

14. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    So wouldn't all gear hanging on the wall be demo gear? Where is the non demo gear. I've always been told that what is on display is all they have?

15. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    No different than test driving a car

16. pigpen1

Aug 2, 2017
    That's my point. Everything on the GC wall can be considered demo gear.

17. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    It comes with a manufacturers warranty, just like the car you buy at your dealer has a few miles on it from several test drives.

redwingxix likes this.
  18. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Come on, this is nonsense. Every GC I've ever been in, except for maybe Union Square in Manhattan, the floor is about 2/3 empty space.

That's no joke...

This seems extremely unlikely. First of all, they all have a giant storeroom in the back (clue #1), I'm pretty sure that's not just for the employee lunches. Secondly, if they have say 1 pair of a particular model of headphones on display, and you buy them, do you think they just don't have those headphones any more for a few days until another single pair gets shipped in (clue #2)?

Now, if you buy a new EBMM 5 string fretless, what's on the wall is probably what you get (which I would rather order online in that case so it actually comes "fresh" from the factory). But I GUARANTEE if you play a $150 ibanez gio from the wall, they have a stack of them in the back for when that one sells.

Think about it, have you EVER been to a GC where there were just "empty" hangers on the wall? No, because they have stuff in the back ready to go out any time they sell something. Especially this time of year when they expect to be making a LOT of sales.

Anyway, getting back to retail space, I would really like to see them offer a wider selection in terms of everything they have. The guitar wall is literally like 20 or 30 or 40 low end ibanez with minor variations, a few schecters and ltds, some fenders, epiphone, and a few prs and EB. So half a dozen makes more or less, and probably 80% of what's there is from the biggest 3 of those. Pathetic. Bass is even worse. I don't need to see 16 mitchells (which all look like total crap).

19. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    My son keeps nagging me to go down for a bluejackets game, so if I ever make it I'll include that as part of the deal for taking him. Thanks.

Conversely, if you are ever up here I can't recommend Motor City Guitars highly enough. It's not a GC but it's one of the best independent stores I've ever been in.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  20. pigpen1

Aug 2, 2017
    I have seen empty hangers.
    Stuff like headphones they usually have more than one out on display.

I wasn't saying they didn't have more, just what I'd been told. Some GC are much smaller than others.