1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'GCenter Drama And Still Don't Understand'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mustBmtd, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    They do research (GC) no different than any major chain. They pretty much know the market and turn they can expect on x number of square foot retail space. Smaller markets get smaller stores. Honestly, I don't know how they have managed to stay in business considering the debt Bain investment left them to service. Fact is they are still around due to a rebound in guitars purchases being led by females! You go girls :)

2. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia living la vida loca Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    That doesn't sound too dramatic, but at least you were given notice of the issue. Their used gear is a crap shoot (true for any sight-unseen purchase!), but their return policy is liberal (full refund minus one-way shipping if they had to ship it in from another store). Their used pricing is inconsistent, probably based on local demand. I got a super good deal on a bass from their Nashville store (was willing to take the $25 shipping cost risk), but returned a guitar that had serious fret/neck issues. No hassle at all on the return. I don't like the corporate vibe, but I do love a good deal.

3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    We have family in Livonia... looks like it's just north of there.

Thanks, bro! Nationwide Arena and surrounding area are pretty sweet, as well! Have a great time if you guys get the chance!

Edit:. Just checked out the website... looks great!

4. MMiller28

MMiller28

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Random GC tidbit since this is on the front page...

Went in today to see if they had a Stingray Special 4 in stock for me to try out (and then maybe order through the local one-off shop). They didn't, but they had moved all the "nice" basses up on the wall by about a foot since my last visit. I couldn't reach them to pull them down and check 'em out. I'm 6'5".

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    My local GC usually has 100+ basses.
    A few weeks ago they had 123 hanging up.

6. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    I like the Blue Jackets. My second favorite team after the NY Rangers. Love Coach Tortorella, and Dubinsky.

7. denhou1974

denhou1974

Mar 6, 2008
    Guitar Center. LOL
    They wanted to sell me a combo off the showroom floor but wouldn't give me the open box price. Uh, it's out of the box and people have been plugging stuff into it ... So it is open box. I told them I would only buy if they included the extended warranty for free. Nope. I ended up getting the same combo from American Musical. New in the box.

8. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    I really hate when they do stuff like this. Even worse is that all the ones near me, all the basses that are remotely decent are also in the locking hangers, so it's a whole production if you want to try anything. And since they don't do setups on anything (which is stupid because it's like 10 bucks worth of labor to make it seem $100 or so nicer), you might go through all that just to find the thing is damn near unplayable.

Yeah, but how many of those were actually worth buying (ie not sucky sub $400 ibanez, squier, mitchell, etc...

9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Quite a few.

10. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Retail stores have stuff stolen all the time, having the expensive stuff up high makes it harder for people to swipe.

Most music places I know that have techs, have them fix up the store instruments once they've completed all of their customer repairs which, depending on the area could be few and far between due to high amounts of people coming in for repairs.

11. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    GC customers will find a way to get those basses down, but not without a new ding on that bass and all the other basses near them.

Omega Monkey likes this.
  12. Valsmere

Valsmere Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2018
    southern NJ
    What I meant in my post is rather a simple retailers are not going to use retail space for items that don't have a matching demand for an item that does. Hence retail Space is a premium. The GC near me sells more guitars than basses so they don't stock the same amount. Nonsense is a reply that is really false.
    Now the GC location in other areas may be dropping the ball in targeting their market that's on them.

But seriously ask any retail manager that is successful they will tell you RETAIL SPACE AT A PREMIUM, especially if their butt is on the line making quotas

13. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Proportion of space dedicated to one item vs another is one thing. Using all the space you have is another.

My point though is I'm not sure how many crappy cheap guitars you need on display to sell a bunch of crappy cheap guitars. People buy them because they're broke and/or just starting and/or don't know any better. And they're crappy and cheap so people aren't that picky with them.

So as wide a variety of products as possible is better (across all price ranges, feature sets, etc...). Because even if mexican strats were the thing they sold the most of, they would be stupid to fill 100% of the store with mexican strats, right? So between that and filling the store 100% with soprano recorders, I think we can agree the ideal course of action is somewhere in the middle. There's an art to that surely, but in my experience having been in a fair amount of GCs and a bunch of music stores in general, GC handles that part of things particularly poorly.

On the other hand, we have a local but high volume store that is basically like a brick and mortar Sweetwater type place. Their variety KILLS GC on every level and in every department. Their prices are generally pretty good. Staff is knowledgeable. Hours are funky and it's kind of out of the way if you live on the other side of town, but I would much rather shop there for any big new purchase than GC. And then we also have a pretty big, almost pawn shop like used gear store as well, where stuff might be in a wide range of conditions from pretty great down to "what the hell happened to this thing?", BUT the variety is unmatched and will DEFINITELY see stuff you won't see anywhere else (like Tune basses and stuff like that). So the quality control is not great, but the variety brings people in on the chance that you find some gem, and they also are very open to making deals.

So I go in either of those stores, and it's like being in Wonkaland. GC is more like the office in Joe vs the Volcano. Just kind of depressing and monotonous. Once in a while you will see something surprising. And 6 months after NAMM they might even have that new thing you wanted to try (IF it's from a major brand they already carry), that everyone's else has had in stock since march.

14. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Yup...Motor City Guitars has quite the selection. I used to frequent the GC in Roseville but they've gone by the wayside in terms of variety and selection of basses imo...quite a few duplicates and not a whole lot to pick and choose from so I take the extra 37 miles and just drive to Motor City Guitars, it's worth the extra gas to see a selection. Sometimes stop by Huber Breese along the way.

redwingxix likes this.
  15. Valsmere

Valsmere Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2018
    southern NJ
    My argument is proven. your reply of nonsense is quite honestly wrong read my post
    I said retail space is at a premium IT IS. That has been proven in every retail management class on every campus across our nation. I’m calling you out on your notion of nonsensese.

16. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    LOL, ok. Think whatever you want, but someone walking into an average guitar center is not likely to think "wow, every square inch of this place has really been maximized".

17. Damn it. I just came across the Cort in question on the GC site and was gonna post it up as a hot deal on TB but now I see this thread. So never mind. And that explains why it's been there for almost 90 days now according to the guy I just called and talked to at the store.

Moving along.