Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Obsolex, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Ok, me and my "band" are going to try some songs by some metal bands (e.x Killswitch Engage), and the tuning is (?)CGCF. But I want to use my B. So i'll just tune it to G, for GCGCF.
    What are good strings for this/these sort of tunings?
  2. Gauges don't really matter unless your bass can't keep tension too well....I notice subtle differences with them......detune your Ibanez and see how it holds and sounds as well.but don't expect great things coming outta the B string detuned to low G....if I'm right, Ryan Martinie used that open G for more of a pulsating effect than anything else.

I use High Beams and Smith Stainless steels..both which have been fine...and I haven't gotten to use a .135 B string........

g\l with the D'Addarios man!.......
    the strings better not be "Alive or Just breathing" !!

btw here is a cheesy mosh pit:
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd go the opposite direction. I tune similarly (not the same) CFBbEbA#. think A#... EADGC down two full steps on BEADG strings. Instead of dropping you B down two full steps and having to deal with that, in tension, technique, and amplification, tune BEADG up to CGCF.

That's the B string up a half step, effectively becoming you E string. It's tight, dynamic, and IME, it just sounds better than trying to get a decent G out of your B string.
  4. snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    That's what i do and it sounds awesome! IMO, de-tuning your B to G will just sound like mud
  5. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    I say tune your B up to C, I used to do this with my 6 string and it was beautiful, the tension is great, and the sound is punchier IMO. If you really need a Low G string though I would say buy one of those Conklin .150's that they use for low F# string and tune it up a half step to G. But a more realistic option is to use the B string and tune it up to C, don't use the low E and then use the A,D,G, and C strings and tune them down a step or just use custome gages this way you get a more usable range (IMO) out of using a high C string tuned down a step then using a low G. This is just my opinion though, and I'm tired so it may seem jumbled.

P.S. I've seen Killswitch Engage 3 times live and the bass player has used a Jazz bass everytime through an Ampeg 810 and an Ampeg head (I couldn't make that out though).
  6. Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    I play a 5 string and regularly play stuff in lower tunings and i have tuned up the B, but i was wondering if this is healthy for the bass, would it not cause the neck to bend?
  7. Raven

Nov 14, 2004
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Unless your neck is made from recycled cow chips, tuning up a half step won't hurt anything. :D
  8. Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Thankyou sir, i know what you mean but what the hell are cow chips?!
  9. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Cow chips could also be called thier dung, their waste if you will. Up here in Wisconsin, they have a contest where people try to throw Cow chips as far as they can, rather weird if you ask me, but what ever. I guess they call them chips because they are rather wet when they hit the ground, and from that distance they compact into a chippish form when they hit the ground.

Haha, sorry if that may be a bit descriptive or vulgar to anyone, the only way I could think of explaining it.