Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GC's Make an Offer question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dannoman, Mar 6, 2006.

1. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    I was curious if anyone has used the Make Us An Offer program at GC? If so, what kinda offers were made, accepted, rejected, laughed at so on and so on. My local GC has a used peavey bass that i was interested in, sticker said $699 but i wanted to see if anyone else has done this, so if i do make an offer i wouldn't be laughed out the store....

Any help would be appreciated..

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I was unaware that they had a policy like that at all.

That said, 3-4 years ago I was in GC every week or so trying out/buying/returning effects pedals. I would do my damndest to try to talk them down on things or make them deals. They very rarely ever moved and if they did it was no more than 5-10 bukcs-ish.

Now I know pedals are different than bassess, but hopefully that will give you a rough idea.

3. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Two guys I know have made offers at the GC in E. Brunswick, NJ, both were just about 20% below the "tag price". Both offers were accepted (one was a guitar and another was a djembe), but to be fair, the stuff had been hanging around for a while .....

I would think that a reasonable offer would be considered, but if you went in and offered $300 for the $699 bass, I doubt that would fly ...... :cool:

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Hey, you may be able to go out with 400 if its been there for just about forever, have cash, and point out every problem with it :p

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Unless things have changed in the last few years, GC has a long-standing tradition of "grinding", which is where you haggle with them over the price. You may or may not get a better deal for a variety of reasons, but you should always try. If the price tag says $699, tell them you'll give them $450 cash out the door (meaning tax included and you hand them cash, not a credit card). They may not go for it, but then you just insist that you're a serious cash buyer and you want to cut a deal. I've been surprised sometimes how far I could grind them. IMO that's the only reason they are still in business. Give it a try.

6. Making an offer is a program now?

7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Umm...haggling is never called a 'program', some people are good at doing it, some people don't or can't.

Last year I walked in there and bought a band new American Standard Strat for $629, and I once bought a nice used Spector NS5-CRFM for $800 and they threw-in new strings and new straplocks.

By all means definitely haggle on used gear, it's usually overpriced anyway. I have never worked there, but from stuff I delt with before I know CG pays about 50-60% of what their asking price is. So there is definitely wiggle room on basses and amps.

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I don't think I've ever paid sticker price for any Bass I've bought from GC.

9. A "used Peavey" is a pretty vague description. It could be a Cirrus and it could be one of the $150 imports. The pricetags on used instruments at GC often bear no resemblance to reality. You would be wise to research e-Bay's completed auctions or other sites where instruments are sold for the model you're looking at so you have some idea what your model is selling for. You can do well at GC or you can get screwed, it all depends your knowledge...you have to know what the gear is worth on the open market before you can make an intelligent offer. Caveat emptor.

10. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I think the rule to haggling is when it applies, you should be able to talk them down 20-30% off tag price.

11. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I bought a new Bongo 5HH from GC a few weeks ago for $800, including OHSC. I was really lucky in my timing, though. They had marked it down from $1200 to $874 (no case), and I just told the guy I'd buy it right then and there for $800 if he threw in the case. I may have been able to go lower, but probably not much -- they were trying to get rid of the bass (it had some dust on the headstock) as they had two identical basses in the same color which weren't selling. Mine is an exceptional story, as I pretty much got the bass at dealer cost, which is not something that GC likes to do, obviously.

If you like the bass, go in and make an offer. The worst they can do is say no, and you might end up with a great bass for not much $$$. You can always make a counter-offer, too, if they reject your first one.

Bottom line: If it's a bass that has sat there a while and few people have shown interest in it, they may go down quite a bit on price -- you never know. If it's new in the store, don't expect them to budge too much on price, though I would think you could usually get at least 10-20% off, particularly if you walk in with cash.

You might offer them $550 "out the door," and then slowly move up to $600, if you're really interested. Just don't show too much interest/excitement.

Also, Lonote makes some good points. Research ebay to find the going price for the particular model you're interested in. If you sign in to ebay, you can look at "completed auctions" in your search and find what they've sold for in the last month. Knowledge is power in the used market.

12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1.

13. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I would ask for a minimum of 30% off their sticker price.

14. IME, GC has been more flexible with used stuff in comparison with new gear. This is probably because they buy used stuff at a fraction of the blue book value, so there's more room to negotiate.

15. As a rule of thumb, "street price" on a brand new bass is typically 70% of the manufacturer's list price. Retailers typically pay about 50% of the list price, which gives them 20% gross profit. This is just a guideline because there can be special purchases and some boutique manufacturers don't give retailers as much discount, but it's pretty accurate most of the time. Beware of GC because a lot of the time, the manufacturer's list price includes a case or gig bag but GC will try to sell the case or bag separately...don't fall for it.

16. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    There are a few things like Monster Cables they can't do anything with. Special editions they normally can't do anything with, I've gotten deals on Fender, Gibson, PRS, Martin, Ampeg, Marshall, Warwick( not so much), Tascam, Shure....
    I haven't bought anything priced as marked for years except Monsters, and I hate those.

17. dannoman

Feb 3, 2004
    It's a USA Millenium 4 String.

Thanks i'll search ebay and see what i can find....

18. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    There was one in the FS section a few days ago going for 450...it was beautiful, flamed maple and all...

19. dannoman

Feb 3, 2004
    Yeah, that's what this is. hipshot d-tuner and everything. I looked on the bay's completed auctions and saw one that went for a little over three. I called GC and they said that the lowest they could go is $550....

I really appreciate everyones help....

i dont know what would i do without my talkbass form.......

20. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i haven't heard of the program... but i got my GK Backline 600 and 115BLX-II for $350. i'm sure it was cuz i purchased a bass that i got a bad deal on along with it... but i ended up returning that bass for one i wanted even more anyways so i kinda owned them.