Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gear decisions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Feb 13, 2003.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    so in my ongoing gear search, i've decided to take the general advice i've been getting, and am retubing my svp before i compare it to my bddi. i called lord valve last night and ordered his suggestion or the svp. now...if i could just figure out my cabinet situation. do i keep the 8x10, or sell it to get an avatar 2x10/2x12, or 2x10/1x15? oh how i hate making decisions.

2. 2x10 + 2x12 = lots of low end still and lots of mids and top end. though i think 6x10s are the best sound.

3. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    how would say a 6x10 has the best sound? i'm looking for something that's going to be LOUD, and have a solid bottom end, mids that cut through, and good highs. i think loud is very important though. most venues we play have a pa for vocals only. would it be a severe downgrade to go from a peavey 8x10 to an avatar 2x10/2x12?

4. Call Jim Bergantino for his new 6x10 cab. I hear it's fantastic, and probably just what your looking for. It's a seal cab like your big 810 that's even louder and lighter. 508-231-4500.

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Overall, I'm a fan of a 210/115 set-up.
    Primarily because I can get all the tonal flexibility I want, plus it's modular enough to be portable.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If portability was not an issue, I would hang onto the 8x10 if I was happy with it.

7. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    first off...i can't afford a bergantino cabinet. second...i don't know how happy i am with my cabinet. i can't seem to get a good clean sound a high volumes. i'm running a qsc rmx 850 bridged into it. that's 830 watts into 4 ohms, and it distorts at high volumes. the cabinet is only rated at 400 watts. could it be that the speakers are just not that efficient? (is efficient the correct term here?). i'm wondering that if the avatar cabinets can handle more power, and if they have better speakers, would they sound louder, even though there would be less speakers?

(oh...and the peavey cab is bottom ported...not sealed. i know the ampegs are sealed though)

8. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I like 2- 2-12's ( 4-12's in all). Man you talk about getting rude. Lows are solid, low mids will kick you in the chest, singing highs and as loud as a damn jet. Thats where its at for me. For me the 12's seem to be the best all around speaker for my taste and im not a big fan of tweeters as I dont care for much above 2k-3k, I just like the "meat". Those avatar 2-12 cabs use some very effecient drivers and I would think 2 of the 2-12 cabs would be louder than what you could handle if you had enough power.

9. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    even without the help of a pa? that's a big issue for me too, seeing as most venues we play have a pa for vocals only.

10. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I cant really see an average gig ( large clubs) that that rig would not do the job. Without a p.a. im quite sure that 2-212's would be plenty. Well put it this way, if its running full throttle and you have ample power your not gonna want to be anywhere near it.

11. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

I've got an Ampeg SVT-III Pro driving an Ernie Ball Audiophile Bass Systems 2x12,and a an Avatar 2x10 cab.
    Trust me,the rig you're talking about will kick ass and take names.Even more so than mine,with the power you have.
    I play in a LOUD metal band,and it's brutal with just the 450 watts I'm pushing. :bassist:

12. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    so you guys are saying that a 2x10/2x12 would be a good combination? how do you think the avatars compare to the peavey? would i lose a considerable amount of volume? i'm planning on upgrading my power amp anyway. let me know about this. thanks.

13. snailplow

your power amp is fine.don't worry about it.as for the cabs,well,i reread all the posts,and for you i'd recommend an avatar 4x10 an 2x12.

14. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    how much difference do you think the 2x10 would make over the 4x10? would the 2x10 still be able to keep everything up in combination with the 2x12?

15. snailplow

A 4x10 is obviously going to be perceived as louder than a 2x10 because of the additional speakers.This is commonly known as "increased surface area".
    Think of it this way.If you had 2 four year olds screaming and whinning at the same volume in a room with you,it'd be plenty loud and annoying enough right?Now imagine four of them in the same room with you.The volume and effect seems to double because of then additional sound sources,even though all the little brats are generating noise at the same volume.

Additionally,a 4x10 is going to offer a little more low end response than a 2x10 because of the extra room inside the cab.The more "elbow room" there is in a cab, (provided it's properly tuned and ported) the more room there is for lower freqs to "bloom".

I play through a 2x10 and 2x12 cab for two reasons.(1)My guitarist's rig consists of a 2x12,and a 4x12 cab.Plus,he don't use tube amps,so he can get the saturated distortion he likes,without having to crank the **** out of his levels on his gain stages.(2)After owning a number of 8x10 cabs myself,I REALLY appreciate the portability my current rig offers.

Considering the guitar rigs that you're up against,I think you have three choices.
    (1)2x10/2x12 combination-Most portable and easy on the back and wallet,but less perceived volume due to less speaker cone "surface area."
    (2)4x10/2x12 combination-Slightly less portable than option 1,but a little "louder".Punchier than option 3.
    (3)2x12/2x12 combination-About as portable as option 2,and deeper than option 1.Slightly deeper than option 2.

Since you're conditioned to dragging an 8x10 around,I think you should go with option 2.It would suit your needs well.

If you haven't already done it,I HIGHLY recommend reading up on how EVERY component in a bassist's signal chain works.Knowledge is power.If you know what every knob in your rig does,and how to "tweak" it,you'll be able get out of your rig what you want.
    Click on the link below,and start reading away.Good luck.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/

16. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    okay...another question. my peavey 8x10 is rated at 400 watts. would and an ampeg svt classic 8x10 rated at 800 watts sound louder due to the increased power handling? would it mean that ampeg wouldn't start distorting as soon and would have more clean power and therefore sound louder? i don't know...i like the idea of the 2x10/2x12 setup, but the idea of showing up for a loud rock show without an 8x10 almost scares me. it shouldn't though. i have a friend that plays a mesa 400 through a mesa 2x10/1x15 diesel setup. he never has a problem. boy do i hate these kinds of decisions.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Let's see ... 830 watts into a 400-watt enclosure ... distortion at high volume ...

Yeah, I'd say the speaker is not very efficient.

18. snailplow

The Ampeg might seem louder,but not because of the power handling rating that's posted on the back. In my opinion(due to my experiences),Ampeg loads their cabinets with more EFFICIENT speakers than Peavey does.And guess what.Avatar uses the same type of speakers that Ampeg does.(They're Eminence speakers)
    All the Ampeg 8x10 cabs that I've ever seen or owned in my life were all sealed(no ports or vents)which means there's no way for the extra low end coming off of the back of the speakers to escape the cabinet.
    Sealed cabinets require more clean power in order for the speakers to move in and out,and to make them produce your signal better.
    An Ampeg 8x10 cab is just four 2x10 boxes wired together into one big shell.There's actually a horizontal board in between each pair of speakers.
    The reason you're getting distortion out of your Peavey rig is not because of the cabinet,unless one or more of the speakers are blown.I think your signal is "clipping" somewhere in your signal chain.A speaker just "farts" when trying to reproduce a clipping signal,and it sounds like distortion.If you don't mind lugging your 8x10 around,you may not even have to buy anymore cabs.

You know,we're ganna wear our fingers out with this discussion.Click on the email link on one of my posts and email me your phone #.I'll call you,and fill you in with the info you need.