1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

gear decisions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dedpool1052, Jan 1, 2012.

1. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    sorry if this has been posted/discussed before,
    but how many of you have made the decision to try/buy a certain piece of gear because one of your bass heroes used it?
    i myself
    tried rotosound heavy gauge flats because of steve harris, didnt pan out.
    tried dr hibeams because of geezer butler. didnt like'em at first, went back to d'addario for a few years and tried hibeams again, loved'em the second time around.
    tried multiple picks from dunlop because jason newsted and david ellefson used them. tried the purple (1.14mm) blue (1mm) and green (.88mm) and the green turned out to be the one that worked best for me.
    got a 5-string bass because newsted/ellefson and multiple other players were using them, turned out to really like the bonus of that low-b.
    scoured ebay for a long time to find a lefty aria pro II because cliff burton used one. found an '83 sb-elite I for $450 back in '03. have used it off and on throughout the years and decided it's not for me, due to the lack of a forearm contour. it makes it uncomfortable to play.

so what have been your experiences trying a piece of gear that a hero of yours used and how did that work out for you?

2. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    Low end Ibey's.

Light gauge strings.

Compressors.

Low end Beatle basses

Tabdog

3. xxx666

xxx666

Jan 12, 2008
    Australia
    Endorsing Artist G&L Guitars
    After deciding Duff McKagan was my hero when I was 10 I took up a piece of gear call the bass guitar.....

It's pretty much been downhill from there.... :)

4. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Same here, only it was Geezer Butler that made the choice for me.

The only time I consciously made the switch to a piece of fear because a star use it was recently when I started looking for a replacement for my Thunderbird. It wasn't any star in particular, but I noticed how many people were playing P basses, so it seems like the place to go. I'm not disappointed.

5. I really liked players like Billy Cox, Noel Redding, Tommy Shannon, John Paul Jones, etc. when I was a teenager and that made me like Fender basses.